RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asafa, Sherone’s trainer detained by Italian police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asafa, Sherone’s trainer detained by Italian police...

Asafa, Sherone’s trainer detained by Italian police...

... after athletes return positive drug tests
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    Monday, July 15, 2013

MONTEGO BAY, St James — A physical trainer associated with former world record holder Asafa Powell and Olympic medallist Sherone Simpson was last night held and questioned by Italian police about the presence of banned substances found in samples provided by the athletes at the recent JAAA National Senior Championships held in June.

Powell's publicist and business partner Tara Playfair-Scott confirmed on her twitter page that the Canadian trainer, who joined the MVP camp in May, was detained by Italian police after the officers raided his hotel room at the MVP base in Italy. Jamaica Observer sources say the police confiscated a number of items from the trainer's hotel room. The trainer's name is however being withheld.

Former world record holder Asafa Powell and Olympic medallist Sherone Simpson (right) have returned positive drug tests for banned substances.

Yesterday both athletes, along with discus thrower Allison Randall, the Central American and Caribbean Senior Games gold medallist, released statements confirming anti-doping authorities had notified them that they returned adverse analytical findings at the Trials.

The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCo) had confirmed yesterday also that five Jamaican athletes had returned adverse analytical findings at the JAAA National Senior Championships held in June -- two sprinters and three from the field events.

Powell and Simpson tested positive for the substance oxilofrine (methylsynephrine), which is a stimulant, while Randall tested positive for Hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic which can be used as a masking agent for other more serious drugs.

As a result of the findings all three have been provisionally banned from further competition, and Simpson, who had finished second in both the 100m and 200m at the Trials, will likely miss the IAAF World Championships to be held in Moscow August 10-18.

Powell had placed seventh in the men's 100m final and out of the running for a place in the 100m, but a series of good performances since the Trials, including a season's best 9.88 seconds run at an IAAF Diamond League meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, had seen calls for his inclusion in the relay pool.

Randall, who competed at the Olympic Games in London last year, and who is coming off a back injury she suffered in April, had failed to make the 'B' qualifying standard for the World Championships, despite winning a second straight Jamaican title and the CAC Senior title last week in México.

Powell said in his statement: "I want to be clear in saying to my family, friends, and most of all my fans worldwide that I have never knowingly or wilfully taken any supplements or substances that break any rules. I am not now -- nor have I ever been -- a cheat."

Powell's release said his "team" had launched "an internal investigation, and we are cooperating with the relevant agencies and law enforcement authorities to discover how the substance got in my system. I assure you that we will find out how this substance passed our rigorous internal checks and balances and design systems to make sure it never happens again."

The man who has run nearly 90 sub-10-second races, more than any other human being, said his "attitude towards doping regulations and testing is well known, and I willingly give samples whenever requested". The results had "left me completely devastated in many respects. Professionally, this finding fully negates any possibility of me being a part of Jamaica's contingent of athletes competing at World Championships in Moscow later this summer".

Simpson denied that she would ever take any form of illegal substance. "I want to sincerely say to my family (especially my parents, grandparents and siblings), Paul Doyle (agent), MVP track club, fellow athletes, former sponsors, and the rest of Jamaica that l am deeply sorry for any hurt or embarrassment this positive test may (have) caused." She added: "My team and I will try to do everything we can to get this issue dealt with as best as we can."

Randall, who is based in the US, told the Jamaica Observer yesterday that she was shocked and embarrassed by the result. "I have not intentionally taken any banned substance. I have been vigilant with everything I consume, so I am extremely shocked and surprised by this incident."

The master's candidate who also works full time while training, added: "I do not have the desire, nor the means to cheat. I have never even seen steroids, and don't know the first thing about them. I am willing to undergo any other testing methods to prove my innocence (blood, hair, spinal tap). I love throwing the discus for my country, and I hope this incident clears up after my 'B' sample has been tested."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2Z7uP70Cb
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X