Part - 11: Questons for Bruce Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part - 11: Questons for Bruce Arena

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>But where does this idea come from that there’s some guy in Flushing Meadow Park?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. It comes from people who don’t know, that are in decision-making positions. It’s idiotic.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>You were always such a breath of fresh air …</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. Well, unfortunately, I’m no longer a breath of fresh air. I think part of the growth of this game is going to be to develop more people in the decision-making position to grow the game who have experience in the game. To know what a player looks like and smells like. That’s one of our weaknesses in the whole system. Not enough people who understand the technical side.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Are you comfortable taking on more a public, promotional role?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. I think the national team position was more of that role. I was clearly a leader and spokesman for the game in this country. That’s no longer my role. I think that’s a role Sunil Gulati wishes to take on.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Did you enjoy it?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. I think it was a very important role and in the eight years I was in that position I think we made fantastic progress.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Is a part of that where the national team plays games? You once mentioned that we should play in Alaska, and there’s probably a lot of truth to that.</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. The previous administration before 1998 sold out the national team in a bunch of games for the big payday. I think that’s a critical mistake.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Are we still naïve in terms of the international game?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. Very naïve. Anybody that would actually say that the United States went backward in this last World Cup has no idea what they’re talking about.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>But it was almost inevitable that you would hear that?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. Usually from a lot of people who don’t know. We finished like we should have finished {the U.S. was eliminated after the first round in Germany, tying one game and losing two}. It’s probably an accurate representation of where we are in the world.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Are you comfortable now being the public face of this club team?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. This is not a tremendously visible position at this point in time. Maybe it will be down the road. We’re putting in resources and planning more than any team in this league. And that’s why I’m here. It has been a terrible … I would say this has not been a good environment for players here or for the fans. We are adamant that we want to make the everyday environment better for our players and better for our fans. It will make the team better and get more support. Not to criticize people before us. Bob Bradley probably put in more hours here than I can ever hope to. So it’s not from a lack of effort. It’s a lack of direction from management, a lack of resources. I think our organization is fully committed to making it happen.

We’re going to probably announce plans in the very near future for a state-of-the-art training facility unheard of in this country that will be second to none. I think the stadium in 2008 will be unique to this country.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>How much input will you have into the training facility?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. Well, I’m not goin
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X