Part 1V: Questions for Bruce Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part 1V: Questions for Bruce Arena

<DIV id=articleInline><DIV id=inlineBox><H4 class=promo><SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Is there a tendency to forget the game is on the field? That it is about the players?</SPAN></H4></DIV></DIV>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. Yes.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Is there too much of a focus on marketing?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. There are too many people in decision-making positions who believe that they are the key to making it happen. That they want to be the stars and not realize that the stars are really at the youth levels doing all the work. We do need to have our youth programs a bit better.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>How do the Red Bulls get involved?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. We can create a youth system that helps kids improve and motivates kids in this area to be a part of it and offers competition for kids to be better. And hopefully doesn’t emphasize that you have to win dumb trophies, which I think is obviously one of the biggest flaws, which is I think they are too focused on winning. I think if you do things right, you’ll win. Winning is a byproduct of doing things right. Our emphasis will be on finding talented kids. And I can’t take any credit for that. That’s Giovanni Savarese {the club’s director of youth development} taking care of that. Since I came here, I can see they’ve done a really good job. And once we have a facility and a home for everybody, I think it’s just going to get better and attract kids.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>How does M.L.S. have to get better and has it gotten better since you were at D.C.?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. This is one man’s opinion: The league hasn’t gotten better since I was at D.C.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Has there been a lack of attention to the quality of play on the field?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. Yes, I think there has been. I think now is the time, the business plan is in place, stadiums are being built, now is the time to concentrate on getting the product better.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Is part of that being involved in international club competitions?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. Yes. I think the concept to play some games against the Mexican league is great. We see through the Concacaf Champions Cup that our teams are not as competitive as they need to be. And we have to grow our clubs to where they are capable of competing for those championships.

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>What about the idea of playing in the South American club competitions?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. It would be nice, but I think with our resources and small rosters, it’s tough to do. Until we can have a club schedule that duplicates the club schedule around the world, it’s difficult because we end up playing most games in our off-season. To play in competitions in South America, we need to travel the right way. And we don’t have the resources to do that. Red Bulls would like to use our resources to travel. You fly to South America economy, you’re a complete idiot. You don’t have a chance of succeeding. Why get in those competitions if you’re not ready to do the things to give yourself a chance to be successful?

<SPAN class=bold>Q</SPAN>. <SPAN class=italic>Any advice for the future national team coach, whomever it may be?</SPAN>

<SPAN class=bold>A</SPAN>. No. They {officials at US Soccer} apparently don’t think that my knowledge is worth anything. But I will always be pulling for the national team. I’m its biggest fan. I think the next coach should be an American. No doubt in my mind about i
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X