• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support football and your days shall be long, Burrell urges

Support football and your days shall be long, Burrell urges Gov't
    BY PAUL REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, October 20, 2007

MONTEGO BAY, St James
    Incoming president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Captain Horace Burrell has challenged the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) administration to do more for football than the previous government if they want to ensure longevity in office.

While praising the People's National Party (PNP), especially former prime minister and minister of sports, Portia Simpson Miller, Burrell said the new government, led by prime minister Bruce Golding, would be able to dictate their length of stay in office once they gave football the attention it deserves.

He was speaking at Tuesday's launch of the St James Football Association's Captain's Bakery Knock Out that was held at Wexford Hotel in Montego Bay.

BURRELL... it is because of their (former government) support why football in Jamaica had reached the levels it had and I challenge the new government to do even better. (Photo: Paul Reid)

Burrell was speaking specifically to the provision of playing facilities, but included the holistic approach to supporting the sport by the government.
    "I don't believe sufficient playing facilities have been provided by those who are supposed to provide them," he pointed out.
    "A parish association cannot by itself establish a playing facility and therefore I want to thank the previous administration for all the support they gave to football during their time in office and I would want to take this opportunity to say to the Bruce Golding government that if you want to stay in office for an even longer period then give even more support to football than the PNP government. Once you do that you will remain in office for as long as you want," Burrell said.

Burrell, a senior vice-president with the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), who will return to the top post in Jamaica's football in just about two weeks at the November 4 Voting Congress in Hanover, thanked the previous administration for their support of the sport in the island, adding: "It is because of their support why football in Jamaica had reached the levels it had and I challenge the new government to do even better and we will reach even further."
    The former army man reiterated his support for parish football and said unless other sponsors were found, he would continue to support the parish associations.
    "Many have been asking in light of recent events whether the Captain's Bakery will continue to support football the way I have after taking office on the 4th of November, my simple answer is, of course. I will not leave my parish associations," Burrell said. "If people come forward and if there are other sponsorship available, ofcourse I will only be too happy to step aside and to allow those who want to support an opportunity to support, but as it is right now I have absolutely no intentions of leaving the parish by the way side and not continuing to support."

He said if someone is going to criticise the relationship between him being the president of the JFF and sponsoring local leagues, "wanting me to cease sponsorship then I say do look support for the parishes, step forward and I will be very happy to allow them the opportunity to sponsor".

Burrell repeated his criticism of corporations doing business in certain areas, but not being willing to give back and supported Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce president Pauline Reid who was the guest speaker in this regard.
    "I don't believe that in as large a community as Montego Bay, the corporate citizens are doing as much as they can to support football," he said.

While singling out the Hart Group of Companies that have long supported football in St James, he said more people need to come on board and give back.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X