Hargreaves voted England's best World Cup player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hargreaves voted England's best World Cup player

Previously much-criticised Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves has been voted England's player of the World Cup, according to a fans' poll released.

Almost a quarter of all those voting in the Football Association (FA) poll picked Hargreaves, who consistently impressed as both a holding midfielder and a stand-in right back.

Hargreaves's 35,000 votes -- seeing off the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, David Beckham and John Terry -- illustrate the sea change in popular opinion about the Canadian-born player.

Before the tournament in Germany, Hargreaves had been used mainly as a substitute and many pundits and fans questioned his inclusion in Sven-Goran Eriksson's squad at all.

But now he is expected to play a more major role under new boss Steve McClaren.

"Any time you can have the public's support is great. Obviously before the World Cup I got a taste of the other side of it but it's far better to be on the positive side of it," Hargreaves was quoted as saying on the FA website.

"I saw some English people when I was on holiday in Dubai and it was great. They came up to me and thanked me for working so hard.

"They just said thank you which is the best thing you can really say to someone."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Hargreaves voted England's best World Cup player

Ahead of Rio? If dem did mek mistake and say Gerrard it wouldn't that bad.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X