X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liverpool co-owner reveals split ....DEATH THREATS

Liverpool co-owner reveals split

Gillett (left) and Hicks have become unpopular among Liverpool fans

Fresh doubts have been raised over the future of Liverpool after co-owner George Gillett revealed relations with partner Tom Hicks are now "unworkable".
    BBC Sport understands Hicks is aiming to take sole control of the club, while investment group Dubai International Capital also wants to invest.
    But Gillett said: "This partnership has been unworkable for some time."
    He also said his family has received "phone calls in the middle of the night threatening our lives - death threats."
    Interview: George Gillett on radio station Fan590

However, despite the threats, Gillett revealed he and his son Foster - a club director - intend to travel to England to attend one of the upcoming games against Arsenal next week.
    Ahead of Sunday's Merseyside derby with Everton, Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez said of the latest development: "There is nothing I can do but concentrate on the game and prepare properly."
    Speaking to radio station Fan590 in Canada, Gillett said that selling his share of the club to Hicks is now "an untenable alternative".
    606: DEBATE

Tough times ahead if Hicks and DIC work together I don't think the relationship between the two will be strong

LfcOzzi

He added: "We were very fair. We gave our partner a long period of time to try to make arrangements to buy us out.
    "We didn't put pressure on him but he ultimately did not get to the finish line.
    "In the meantime, because of the things he said, the fans' reaction has been so negative towards him - and towards us if we sold to him - that has now made that an untenable alternative for us.
    "When your public persona is more important than the facts, it's tough to have a rational relationship."
    In a lengthy interview, Gillett went on to say:

• "(The fans) do not want him (Hicks) to have any controlling interest in this club - they do not even want him to have any ownership in the club."

We (Gillett and his family) receive many phone calls in the middle of the night threatening our lives

George Gillett

• "He (Hicks) threatened to block me selling to Dubai - that was certainly one of the things that made the fans upset."

• "Lord knows DIC have the money; with oil prices going up every day, that's not an issue. They certainly have the history and they are fans. I think they would have been very responsible owners."

• "It's been very difficult for my wife - we receive many phone calls in the middle of the night threatening our lives - death threats."

• "Instead of thinking about selling I might think about buying."

• "The pieces on the chess board are moving", regarding his plans for his stake in the club.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X