RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wenger's new strategy to win the Champions League.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wenger's new strategy to win the Champions League.

Wenger blast for Chelsea, Liverpool and United: 'Teams in debt should be kicked out Europe'

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has welcomed UEFA's investigation into the finances of European football, and called clubs who run at a deficit - including Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United - to be 'kicked out of Europe'.

New president Michel Platini, the former France playmaker, is concerned at the high level of debt carried by some clubs - maintaining they are 'cheating' by purchasing players they simply cannot afford.

Vociferous: Wenger's comments will doubtless raise eyebrows at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford

Neither Platini nor Wenger have singled out any individual outfit for concern - although both English teams Manchester United and Chelsea owe something in the region of a combined total of around £1.5billion between them.

However, there is a growing feeling of a need to guard against clubs heading towards financial meltdown, such as the path taken by former Champions League challengers Leeds, who are now in Coca-Cola League One, and some Spanish sides such as financialy-stricken Celta Vigo, who could go into liquidation, while Valencia are also reported to have debts of more than £500m.
    'It is very welcome,' said Wenger. 'I think teams who have deficit should be kicked out of Europe.

'The only way to go is that there is a control over all of Europe, and I think it will go that way whether you like it or not.

'UEFA will bring in a control of the management of every individual club and every individual club will be controlled.

'It is very important for the fans of the competition first, and it is very important that every club lives with the resources they have available - clubs should not speculate and then after one year they cannot pay the salaries for the next seasons.

'Every transfer nowadays in Europe is paid over two or three years, and it is compulsory that UEFA controls that the commitment of the club is right, because
    if that does not happen, it can all collapse very quickly.'

Gunners boss Wenger, though, accepts certain clubs - namely Chelsea, who are bankrolled by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich - are currently in a league of their own when it comes to spending power.

'I would prefer transfer fees paid straight away,' he said, 'but when you look at the numbers involved right now, nobody can do that any more.

'Who is a club in Europe who can pay £30million cash? I know one, but only one.'
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X