• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican wins MLS Golden Boot award

Jamaican wins MLS Golden Boot award <DIV class=KonaBody>

by GORDON WILLIAMS, Contributor

Jeff Cunningham - contributed

Jeff Cunningham is heaping high praises on fellow Jamaican Andy Williams for helping him win the "Budweiser Golden Boot" award given to the highest goal scorer in America's top football league.

The striker netted 16 times, to go with 11 assists, in 31 United States Major League Soccer (MLS) regular season games for Real Salt Lake (RSL) in 2006. He credited an instinctive link with the former Reggae Boyz captain known as "Bomber" which, he explained, should have resulted in an even higher tally.

"When Andy is on the pitch he's got the vision and ability to get you the ball in good positions," said the grateful Cunningham of Williams yesterday. "I just have to get behind the defence... should have had more (goals) with all the opportunities he's given me."

The 30-year-old Cunningham, who just finished his ninth MLS season, admitted it was the attraction of Williams's playmaking skills which helped lure him to RSL, a second year MLS club, in 2006. He had played with other MLS teams, and had always been a prolific scorer. As a member of the Columbus Crew he scored 16 goals in 2002, but lost the goal title to Carlos Ruiz, then of the Los Angeles Galaxy. Finishing first this year, he believes, has solidified his status as a top MLS player.

"I've been in the league a long time," said Cunningham, who had set a target of 20 goals for 2006. "This (scoring title) validates that. It justifies that I am one of the best strikers in the league."

DISAPPOINTMENT

However, despite winning the scoring crown, the Montego Bay-born striker, who still has family in Jamaica's second city, remains disappointed RSL failed to make the MLS play-offs.

"To be home watching the playoffs is to me a failure," he said, explaining that at this stage of his career individual honours are less important than winning team championships.

Missing the MLS play-offs added another dose of disappointment in 2006 for Cunningham, a naturalised American citizen who has represented the U.S. national team several times, including against Jamaica. He was not selected for the U.S. squad to World Cup 2006 in Germany. He said while he "never really felt a part of the (U.S. team) mix," he still laments that he may never get another chance to play in football's biggest showcase event.

"I felt (Germany) was my last chance," Cunningham explained. "Next World Cup I will be 34. At that age the country is looking at their younger players. I've not ruled out that possibility, but it would be difficult."

DISCARDED

World Cup disappointment is not new to Cunningham, who was first invited, then discarded by the Reggae Boyz prior to the 1998 "Road To France". The striker said he went on a tour of Africa with Jamaica, got limited playing time, and was never recalled. At that time the Boyz focused primarily on English-born professionals, he said, despite his desire to represent the land of his birth.

"The (Jamaica Football) Federation didn't show much interest at that point," Cunningham explained.

So when coach Bruce Arena called him to the U.S. team he responded with a business decision.

"It was a career choice (to play for the U.S.)," said Cunningham, who believes the experience with the U.S. national team improved his game. "To be honest, I'm happy I'm able to play and play at the highest level."

Yet he still follows the fortunes of the Reggae Boyz. He watched at least one of Jamaica's 2006 Digicel Caribbean Cup games on video and, despite that failed campaign, he still believes the country's football has a bright future.

"Talent wise, they (the Boyz) are extremely talented," said Cunningham, who vowed to push RSL into
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X