X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Horace Burrell on Colonel Ken Barnes

February 20, 2009

For Immediate Release

The President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Captain Horace Burrell, the Board and staff of the JFF would like to express condolence to the family, friends and colleagues of the late Colonel Ken Barnes who passed on Thursday night February 19, 2009 in Jamaica at the age of 73. Col. Barnes is survived by widow Jean, daughters Gillian, Tracy and son John, coach of the national football team.

He was heavily involved in the sporting community of Jamaica. He served as captain of the national team in the late 1950s and early 1960s before taking on the role of manager in the late 1960s. His most recent association with football was as Chairman of the Appeals Committee. The Jamaica Boxing Board also benefitted from his leadership when he served as president.

Col.Barnes was also a revered member of the military community. He has been a member of the military since its formation in 1962 following his relocation to Jamaica and despite taking up a post in London for a few years in the 1970s and being originally from Trinidad, regarded Jamaica as his home and embraced the country whole heartedly

“My association with Colonel Barnes goes back to my days as a young officer in the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF). He was someone I looked up to. In fact he was my mentor, not just in military terms but in terms of sports administration,” Captain Burrell said.

“In my early days in the military, he was the football officer and the army’s sports officer so I came under his charge and learnt a lot from him. Later I had the opportunity to be led by him in battle as he was the commander of the Caribbean armed forces in the Grenada invasion in 1983

“A lot of stories will live on about him but what stand out for me were his discipline, fairness, principle and decency. In short, he was an officer and a gentleman. The region and the country are poorer for his passing.

The Captain continued, “As we mourn the passing of this great man of Caribbean history, let us take comfort in 1 Thessalonians 4: 13-14 “Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.”
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X