Rafa or Parry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafa or Parry?

The Times reported today in this article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5805430.ece that the problems with Rafa's new contract have more to do with his issues with Rick "Coco the Clown" Parry and George Gillette than anything else.

In answering the question - Rafa or Parry? it is a no brainer to my mind. First of all, Liverpool is in the hands of the wrong owners. Until that changes we will continue to have problems. Still, we can make important changes including changing our Chief Exec.

To be clear, I am not a Rafa fan (too cautious for my liking), but it is imperative that the club re-signs him to a long term contract as continuity is critical to our success. It took Slur Arselick 7 years to win the Prem trophy for the scum. He was 52. Rafa is now only 48. He won the the CL in his first season when he was 45 (Slur Arselick didn't win his first CL until he was 57) and for the first time in a long time Liverpool under Rafa is arguably challenging for the title. Liverpool also have the best record in the CL over the group stages than any other Prem club under Rafa. We have not failed to make the round of 16 under his management, something that no other Prem manager can claim over the same period of time.

The man has also done miracles on a net spending basis. Despite bringing talent like Torres, Babel, Riena, Riera, Skrtel, etc. to the club, it has not been on a the back of massive net spending increases. In other words, he's done far more with about the same amount of money than his predecessor.

In my opinion, there is no question that Rafa has the right CV and is young enough. He just needs better upper management support for the players he wants. That said, I do believe he has created many of his own problems, but we all need to make mistakes to learn. If Rafa is left to his own designs, I believe he will learn and will deliver. So he has to stay.

The reason I say Parry has to go is because he continues to make business mistakes. First of all, understand that when Parry joined Liverpool, the goal was to have him bring to the club the same kind of business success he engineered for the Prem as their Chief Exec. There he negotiated the then biggest deal in the history of football for TV rights with BSkyB and is credited with raising the profile of the Prem with new stadiums, international stars, increased attendances etc.

But he has failed miserably to deliver at Liverpool. He let the club go to the wrong owners when he had deep-pocketed DIC in hand. For this alone he should be fired. However, there's more. He has been unsuccessful (prior to and with the new owners) in raising the profile of the club; he has failed on getting the new stadium; he has procrastinated on key signings and failed to find funds for critical players (e.g. Dani Alves); he almost single-handedly f-d up Gerrard's head when the player almost left for Chelski. In short, Parry is the wrong Chief Executive and is not ever going to be good enough for the job. We need to get an aggressive, young, highly keen Chief Executive in place as it is not Rick Parry.

So to me, it is a no brainer. Rafa needs to stay, Parry MUST go and he can take Hicks and Gillette with him on the way out for all I care. It is the right thing for the club.

PM
    Last edited by Paul Marin; February 26, 2009, 11:46 AM.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...
Working...
X