Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No divided loyalty for Hyde

File - Lenny Hyde
    One of the things Lenworth Hyde Sr has been known for over the years as a footballer and coach is keeping his emotions in check. Had he not learnt that, then he could have been a case for the psychiatrist's chair.

When the whistle blows at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, signalling the start of the Flow Champions Cup final, Hyde's current team Tivoli Gardens will take on his former team Boys' Town for the winner's spoils. But for the unflappable former midfield general, it will be just another day on the job.

attached to both
    "There will be no divided loyalty come Sunday. I am committed to Tivoli Gardens and that is all there is to it when it comes to Sunday's game," said Hyde who is adored in both communities.
    "I am from the area, west Kingston. I am from Oxford Street which is close to both communities, so I still feel attached to both of them," added the man who represented Clarendon College as a schoolboy.

greatest achievements
    Hyde was first associated with Tivoli Gardens as a schoolboy, representing them at the Minor League level, before graduating to the senior team where he helped them to a number of titles. His greatest achievements were, however, with Boys' Town, the team he joined in 1982-83 season under the guidance of coach Carl Brown.

"I went to Boys' Town in the 1982-83 season and I stayed there until 1989. My time at Boys' Town was very successful. We won about three National Leagues (which is now the DPL), a number of major League as well as a number of President's Cups," the 50-year-old recalled.

good spirits
    What Hyde is more concerned about is that the game is played in good spirits and that spectators will be treated to a football feast.

"For me, personally, it is a great feeling to have my two teams in the final. What I don't want, though, is for it to get out of control. Both teams are very similar in that they are community-based teams and teams from these communities are always tough. "When you represent a community such as these, if you lose, it will be very difficult for you to go on the corner, so no one wants to lose," he said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X