RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arsenal legend: I find it difficult to find a single ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenal legend: I find it difficult to find a single ...

Arsenal legend: I find it difficult to find a single weakness in Fletcher's game

Arsenal legend Lee Dixon has praised Manchester United star Darren Fletcher for his recent performance against Chelsea. The Premier League champions succumbed 1-0 to the league leaders although Dixon suggests Carlo Ancelotti’s side were fortunate to do so. The former Highbury stalwart compares Fletcher to his Old Trafford teammate Paul Scholes because of his understated but hugely important presence and suggests the 25-year-old Scottish international is one of Sir Alex Ferguson’s best players.
    Dixon told the BBC: “United got their tactics right and it was one of those games in which you don't necessarily get what you deserve.”
    “And in the middle of all that was Darren Fletcher who, when you look at the quality and strength of Chelsea's midfield diamond, performed heroics.”

“In the first half Fletcher was everywhere and it seemed like his name was mentioned every five or 10 seconds, whether United had the ball or not.”

“Having played so well, he'll be bitterly disappointed not to have emerged on the winning side, or at least with a point.”

“Fletcher is so important to United because of his ability to break up opposition forays and turn defence into attack.”

“Fletcher's all-round game has improved significantly, to the point where I find it difficult to find a single weaknesses.”

“In the past you might have felt that Fletcher wouldn't have played when everyone else was fit. But now it's almost a case of picking the other eight because he is among two or three players who get into the team full stop.”
    “People have said he is more suited to the so-called big games but I disagree.”
    “Maybe sometimes when he has not played in the lesser games it's because Sir Alex is saving him for the bigger ones due to his value.”

“Chelsea aside, I actually think he would get into most other top teams because he is a real nuisance to the opposition and has an ability to get you out of trouble time and again.”

“At Stamford Bridge, he dropped into the back four to make headed clearances on countless occasions - you could call him a sweeper for all positions.”

“I've not played against Fletcher in the modern game but he reminds me of Paul Scholes, even though they are quite different players from a stylistic perspective.”

“When people think of big players they think of the flair guys like Cristiano Ronaldo, but you ask the players who have played week in week out against Manchester United and they will say Scholes.”

“And it's the same with Fletcher.”
    “A lot of his work goes unnoticed and a lot of his qualities are not always bubbling over the top.”
    “But the key thing is that he is not unnoticed by his manager or team-mates and they are the ones who count.”

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football...ers_game_.aspx
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X