X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bolt Effect

03/12/2009 10:05, Report by Steve Bartram

Welbeck reaching for the top
    Having been a central figure in last season’s Carling Cup success, Danny Welbeck has continued where he left off, notching twice in this term. The tricky teenage forward is highly rated at Old Trafford, but insists he won’t be distracted by the hype...

The Carling Cup is something of a personal platform for you – you must love the competition…
    Yeah, it’s a competition where the boss likes to give the youngsters a chance to show him and everyone else what you can do and what your abilities are. It’s a different level, and all the younger players who are selected really relish the challenge.

What are your memories of the Carling Cup final against Tottenham?
    Playing at Wembley was fantastic. I started up front with Carlos Tevez and I remember in the first five minutes I got a ball over the top from Scholesy. I completely misjudged it and I think that set the tone a bit. I didn’t quite get into the game as much as I could have done, but I definitely learned from that experience.

But you still got your hands on a major trophy...
    It was the first trophy I’d properly won with United’s first team, and it was such a great buzz. Just to win a trophy at the biggest club in the world was massive; everyone was buzzing off it. I just want to feel like that again, year after year. It’s definitely better when you’ve played, but I was in Moscow with the squad and it was a great experience to see how much it meant to win the European Cup, even for the top dogs. It made me realise how much I’ve got to do this for myself as well. I want to feel like that.

Talk us through your two goals in this season's competition...
    Against Wolves I dropped off the defender, played a quick one-two with Michael

[Owen] and finished it off. At Barnsley, Anderson told me to get in front of my man at the near post for a corner, and I managed to head it in. They were very different goals, but I’m obviously happy with them. I don’t want to jinx myself, but it’d be nice to score again.

What’s the deal with the Usain Bolt celebration?
    [Laughs] Some of us younger players got together during the summer and at some point I did a Usain Bolt pose for whatever reason, and Cameron Stewart said: “You should do that when you score.” I just laughed it off, then he bet me I wouldn’t. So I did! It’s an improvement on my celebration against Stoke though. I don’t know what happened there – it’s like I blacked out! I just got nervous and did this little dance. I got quite a bit of stick for that – and deservedly so.

You’ve linked up well with Michael Owen this year – what’s he like to play alongside?
    Amazing. He is a world-class finisher. If he misses one opportunity he never hides, he’s always there to get himself in the right position for the next time. His movement off the ball is fantastic… it’s great to just watch him. I’ve been watching and learning. He doesn’t take many touches in the box, he catches the keeper off-guard with quickfire shots – just like he did for his goal at Barnsley. That’s stood out for me.

You’re a confident guy – do you believe that you can take the opportunities that you’re getting and become an integral part of the first team set-up?
    Obviously I’m just working hard on my game, and I’m trying to become a regular squad member. At the moment that’s all I’m thinking about. I’m trying to improve my all-round game and I’ve still got time on my hands, I’ve only just turned 19, so I’m taking it step by step. Hopefully, though, one day I’ll be where you say.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015
Working...
X