England reveal World Cup venues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England reveal World Cup venues

England World Cup bid chiefs have confirmed the 12 cities that are to form their campaign to host the 2018 finals.
    There had been speculation Liverpool could miss out but this has not proved to be the case, with Derby, Leicester and Hull the unfortunate cities.
    England 2018 deputy chairman Lord Mawhinney announced the successful candidates, which included Milton Keynes, Plymouth and several venues yet to be built.
    A total of 15 stadiums in England were proposed. London potentially has three venues, with Wembley, Emirates Stadium and New White Hart Lane Stadium or the Olympic Stadium those in the running to host games.
    After Fifa votes on the World Cup hosts for 2018 and '22 in December 2010, world football's governing body gets the final say on the venues.
    Mawhinney said: "England's fortunate to have so many good stadia and I would like to congratulate all of the applicant host cities for the seven months of really hard work they have put in.
    "We have chosen cities which present the lowest possible risk to Fifa and it's Fifa who will make the final decision.
    "There will also be a lot of disappointed football fans around the country I understand that - and if I was a fan of theirs I would be just as disappointed."
    List in full
    Sunderland - Stadium of Light
    London - Wembley
    Birmingham - Villa Park
    Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium
    Nottingham - New Nottingham Forest Stadium
    London - Emirates Stadium
    Leeds - Elland Road
    Sheffield - Hillsborough
    Newcastle/Gateshead - St James' Park
    Bristol - New Ashton Vale Stadium
    London - New White Hart Lane Stadium or Olympic Stadium