Robson faces brain tumour surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robson faces brain tumour surgery

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Robson faces brain tumour surgery </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Robson has overcome three cancer scares in recent years</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson is to have surgery on a brain tumour.

The 73-year-old was taken to hospital after falling ill during a match on 5 August at Ipswich, where he was once boss and is now club president.

Robson, who has overcome cancer three times in the past, told the Mail On Sunday: "On Wednesday I will have an operation to remove the tumour.

"As surgeons tell me the rest of my body is clean, I should be able to make a full recovery."

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sib606><DIV class=sihf>606 VIEW </DIV><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV>A true gentleman and ambassador for the game. Get well soon, Sir Bobby <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva>BB</DIV></DIV><DIV class=ibqlinks><DIV class=arr>606: Have your say </DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Robson said the tumour was discovered when he had a scan after his health scare at Ipswich's Portman Road stadium.

"The tumour is in my brain, which sounds bad, but it is in a position where it can be removed relatively easily and it's extremely small - the size of a grape - which indicates they have caught it early," he said.

As well as England and Ipswich, Robson has managed Barcelona, PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, FC Porto and Newcastle during his distinguished managerial career.

He is currently employed as a consultant for the Republic of Ireland national team, but will miss their opening Euro 2008 qualifier against Germany in Stuttgart on September 2.

The Football Association of Ireland are hopeful he will be able to resume his duties alongside manager Steve Staunton for the games against Cyprus and the Czech Republic in early October.

An FAI spokesperson said: "It's unfortunate that Sir Bobby won't make it to Germany.

"Our next match is on 7 October away to Cyprus and obviously the situation will be clearer following Bobby's surgery, which we all hope will be a complete success."</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X