• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richards gears up for Burnley rumble

Richards gears up for Burnley rumble

BY PAUL BURROWES Observer writer
    Saturday, December 15, 2012

JAMAICAN international Dane Richards celebrates his 29th birthday today and is preparing to rumble for English Championship club Burnley FC on New Year's Day.

The midfielder signed a pre-contract agreement with The Clarets in August and is eager to make his presence felt instantly.

RICHARDS (left)… once I set my mind on something I know I will be ready and I definitely think I will be able to adapt straight away

"When I was growing up I always wanted to go to the highest level I could and play in England, so I am happy about it. I am very excited about coming over," he said on the club's website.

"I didn't know too much about Burnley before, but I have been looking them up online and checking out their results and I can't wait to get started...," he added.

Richards, a Cornwall College standout and a part of Seba United youth programme from 2001-2003, spent five seasons with US Major League Soccer club New York Red Bulls before a seven-month stint with Vancouver Whitecaps which ended last October.

"Once I set my mind on something I know I will be ready and I definitely think I will be able to adapt straight away. Hopefully the team will be in a good position and I can help keep pushing them up the table," Richards noted.

Richards is definitely needed at Burnley which lost their ninth match from 21 games on Saturday to drop to 17th place in the 24-team Championship.
    The attacking midfielder will find himself at home at Turf Moor and could establish firm partnerships with Chris McCann, Junior Stanislasand, Dean Marney, allowing manager Sean Dyche to stick with his 4-1-4-1 formation.
    "It is going to be a challenge, going somewhere new, but I am determined to make it Burnley...to try and make a difference and help the team advance to meet its goals," he insisted.

Having played 173 matches and scored 25 goals in US MLS and with 41 caps and 10 goals for the Reggae Boyz, Richards will make his debut for

The Clarets on January 1 against Sheffield Wednesday at the Hillsborough Stadium at 10:00 am Jamaican time.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2FAew6GPY
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X