Lazie, Scaly,HL and Assassin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazie, Scaly,HL and Assassin...

I thought there were some interesting things brought up specifically regarding MLS in this discussion. - T.K.

<DIV class=subheader>Writers' Roundtable: MLS Theories and Forecasts</DIV>

USSoccerPlayers (April 5, 2007) -- There are so many questions US soccer fans are curious to see answered over the course of the new Major League Soccer season.

With the Designated Player rule on the one hand, but an increasing number of signings from South and Central America on the other, what direction is the League going in to bring in more crowds and improve the standard of play? What sort of fan is ESPN looking to attract to its weekly broadcasts now that it's actually paid money for them? Do we still need Chelsea and Celtic to show up for exhibition games?

These were just some of the issues on the table when USSoccerPlayers' MLS Editor Ian Plenderleith gathered Tony Edwards, Kevin McGeehan and Bill Urban to swap opinions as MLS embarks on one of the biggest seasons in its 12-year history.

Plenderleith: New stadiums, more sponsors, a wider variety of owners, much wider TV coverage, a new team, Designated Players, some success already for MLS teams in the CONCACAF Champions' Cup, the mid-summer visits of the Scottish and English league champions, the SuperLiga, and the chance to see how a number of MLS players match up for the National Team at the Gold Cup and the Copa America. Surely even the most jaded Eurosnob is feeling a frisson of anticipation at the 12th season of Major league Soccer?

Edwards: For me, I'm curious about a lot of developments. Can Preki coach? Can Bruce Arena take a break in his busy TV schedule to begin to drag the mess that is Red Bull NY out of its morass? Can John Ellinger make Real Salt Lake competitive in a tough Western Conference?

In terms of players, RSL's Mehdi Ballouchy was named one of six young MLS players to watch by World Soccer magazine. How Freddy Adu and Ballouchy work things out is going to be interesting. RSL may not be very good, but you can't fault Ellinger for at least trying to develop younger players.

Urban: I wonder how long Dave Sarachan has in Chicago. The Fire get off to a slow start and, it says here, he is fired. And am I alone in my utter indifference at the prospect of the SuperLiga? I cannot muster even the slightest bit of interest in a glorified series of friendlies arranged to benefit the coffers at Soccer United Marketing.

Plenderleith: I don't have anything against the SuperLiga in principle, and the prize money's not bad. But it clutters up an already crowded schedule, and I'd prefer an expanded CONCACAF Champions' Cup spread out across the season, possibly with group play. But maybe the competition will develop and expand to prove us both wrong.

For me, a big issue is the kind of players being signed to MLS. With the DP rule, teams like the Red Bulls have signed a big name, but also a lot of older players with possible injury problems and stamina issues. How many more ageing Europeans do we need like Markus Schopp and Ronald Waterreus, or English league rejects like Carl Robinson and Andy Welsh at Toronto?

Because on the other hand, teams like D.C., Chivas and FC Dallas are signing relatively unknown Hispanic players, many of whom are turning into league stars. Should MLS be scouting South and Central America for more such players, at the same time as developing its own huge pool of potentially gifted young players? Or is there space for all these categories of player?

Edwards: Doesn't scouting in South and Central America come down to money? It's relatively easy to scout European players, and you can put out a press release saying "This guy played in the EPL or the Bundesliga or wherever". Finding players from Brazil or Argentina or name a country requires more work and contacts.

Maybe the lack of players from South America is another reason MLS should stop bringing in coaches from England and Scotland -- that is, it make
    No need to thank me forumites.
Working...
X