X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae Boy returns to roots

Published: Tuesday | December 24, 2013 0 Comments

Ryon Jones, Sports Reporter

Out-of-favour national midfielder, Jason Morrison, is back in Jamaica as he looks to relaunch his career, after parting ways with Norwegian club Aalesunds.

Morrison, who was contracted to Aalesunds until the end of next season, left the club by mutual consent, as he wanted to be among his family while recovering from a knee operation and subsequent blood clot.

"I have been injured with a blood clot since May, so I have been out for the last six months," Morrison informed The Gleaner. "I was there (Norway) for six months without playing and without family and friends, so I decided to come to an agreement with the club (Aalesunds) to terminate my contract. I wanted to be home with my family while recovering from the injury."

KNEE PROBLEM

Morrison did a minor surgery on his knee in February, but it led to a major problem.

"The doctors said after the surgery there was a high risk of getting a blood clot; and with the long flights to Jamaica and back to Norway," Morrison explained. "I am fully recovered now, because I went back to Aalesunds last month for the final check-up and they declared me OK to play again."

Morrison got his first taste of competitive football in over six months, when he came on as a late substitute for Portmore United in their Red Stripe Premier League match against

August Town on Sunday.

"I am just getting back to match fitness, so I decided to come and play some games for Portmore and try and help them because they were in a bad situation," Morrison shared. "At first, that wasn't the plan, to come and play, but I saw the situation, and I love this club. The agreement is just until January, so, hopefully, I will be back overseas January coming."

EFFECTIVE PLAYER

The 29-year-old started his senior club career with Village United, before joining Portmore United in 2004. During his five seasons there, he helped them to two national league titles.

He went on a trial stint with English team Sheffield United in 2006, and was sent to their feeder team, White Star Woluwe, in Belgium. He also had a stint in Hungary, before making the move to Norway.

Morrison has now set his sights on a move to Major League Soccer (MLS) in the United States come January, but is open to offers from clubs in other countries.

He made 39 appearances for the Jamaica's senior men's national team and featured in the 2008 Caribbean Championship and 2009 Gold Cup and was a key player in the team that qualified for the final round of the failed 2014 World Cup campaign. He played the full 90 minutes in all the games, but was then left out of the squad for the final round or qualifying.

ryon.jones@gleanerjm.com

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports4.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X