• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIGGA ’BALLER with brains - Adrian Smart Manchester High cap

BIGGA ’BALLER with brains - Adrian Smart
    Manchester High captain
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Jamaica Observer continues its series highlighting schoolboy footballers who have achieved academic excellence.

When did you start playing football?

I started playing football in grade six at Bethabara Primary and Junior High.
    Which team did you play against in your first daCosta Cup match?
    Cross Keys in 2009. We won 6-0.

Who are your local and international football idols?

Internationally, I like Zinedine Zidane, the former France captain. Locally, Portmore United player Ricardo Morris.

How do you rate your school's chances in this year's competition?

I rate it extremely high. We have been putting in the work and biting at the title over the years, so I think this year we will definitely get a bite.

Which school do you fear the most and why?

To be honest, I don't look at an individual school and fear them. I take every team seriously and as an equal and worthy opponent.

How important is it for a student/athlete to have a solid education?

It's very important. Our coach has been telling us that we are students who play football. If you want to use football as a vehicle you have to put in the academic work as well. Your skills might be sky-high, but if you don't have the academic requirements you won't get that scholarship.

What are your educational achievements to date?

Currently, I am in upper-six. I have eight CSEC subjects and four CAPES. I also did the SATs and got 1390.

What is your ultimate life ambition?

I just want to be successful at anything I do in life. Career wise, I wouldn't mind going into the alternative energy field, probably civil engineering.

Who has had the biggest impact on your life thus far?

I would say my coach Sheldon Davis has had the biggest impact on my life to date. From I was in first form, I would say he guided me maturely. He gave me that extra boost, the motivation to achieve my goals.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2j7Zr9lXX
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X