• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A boonoonoonoos funeral for Miss Lou

A boonoonoonoos funeral for Miss Lou
    published: Tuesday | August 8, 2006

Devon Dick

I grew up watching Ring Ding every Saturday morning and I believe I was in studio for one of the shows. The last time I saw the Honourable Louise Bennett-Coverley was at a luncheon at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel on her last visit to Jamaica. I was fortunate to get an autograph. My wish is that she will get a boonoonoonoos funeral, which means that it ought to be, predominantly, done in patois.

The PJ Patterson administration did well in honouring Miss Lou. This Portia Simpson Miller administration needs to ensure that she gets a boonoonoonoos funeral service. Part of the purpose of a funeral service is to give God thanks for the life of the deceased, especially for the significant contributions God had allowed that person to perform.

Miss Lou's important contributions would include the proud use of the Jamaican language to describe our lifestyle. In doing that with her infectious laughter and ever-present smile it inspired us to feel good about our mother/native tongue and ourselves.

Prejudice against patois

Sadly, Miss Lou's work is not finished and there is much prejudice against patois. And perhaps nowhere is the prejudice against patois greatest than in the historic churches of Jamaica. This is a paradox because churches should be supporting the use of the mother tongue based on the precedence in the Bible. The New Testament was not written in classical Greek but in koine or common Greek. Jesus often spoke in story form. If it were good for the Master, should not the servants tread in it still?

When the Bible was to be translated into English, most British Christians created one hullabaloo because English was not seen as a classical language and educated persons spoke in Latin. And now people are holding on to British English as if that was the language that God spoke then and it is that which he speaks now.

The historic churches need to embrace patois and what better place to make a paradigm shift than at Miss Lou's funeral.

At my wife's graduation from the University of Wales in Great Britain, a part of the ceremony was done in Welsh, the people's language and also in English. Oh for the day when the university that gave Miss Lou an honorary doctorate will have a part of its graduation ceremony in patois. And what of a degree in patois and not only studying patois through English.

It is time to liberate patois and accept it as a language. The churches that are growing fastest and are more numerous have substantial parts of the worship conveyed in patois. Have you noticed that when historic churches are hosting evangelistic efforts most of the times they use evangelists who are competent to speak patois naturally? It appears that they are able to communicate better with the congregation than those who speak only in 'Standard English'. They use parables and stories like Jesus and Miss Lou to get the message across effectively and profoundly.

Hidden language

When politicians are on the campaign trail and want votes, they use the people's language and imagery, but this is hidden on national occasions and Budget speeches.

So, as we prepare for Miss Lou's soul to rest in peace, let us hope that the hymn selections will reflect an appreciation of God as experienced in the Caribbean reality. Let's hope that scripture readings will make use of the Bible Society of the West Indies which has portions of the Bible in patois.

May the tributes be substantially done in the language of the people whom Miss Lou dearly loved and who loved her. <HR>[B][I]Rev Devon Dick is pastor of Boulevard Baptist Church and author of 'Rebellion to Riot: Th
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X