Farmer earns GG's youth award - 22-y-o looks into hurricane-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmer earns GG's youth award - 22-y-o looks into hurricane-

Farmer earns GG's youth award - 22-y-o looks into hurricane-proof greenhouses

Published: Thursday | November 12, 2009

From as early as 10 years old, Nicholas Powell has been touching the lives of people through his first love, farming.

Twelve years later, he has been recognised for his sterling performance, as he obtained the Governor General's National Youth Award of Excellence.

The 22-year-old copped the award for Manchester in the Middlesex county, and is one of six recipients who received the award at the pinning ceremony held at King's House.

Since primary school, Powell, who owned a small plot of land, employed workers occasionally, paying them with the assistance of his father, Junior Powell, who helped to determine the wages.

Now he has three farms adding up to some 17 acres. One is in his hometown, Coffee Grove, another in Bellefield, and the third in Banana Ground, all in Manchester.

Land from family

Some of the land was acquired from family, but Powell, through his dedication, has worked tirelessly to increase his assets.

The multifaceted youth has also completed research to design a hurricane-proof and computerised greenhouse.

Under the supervision of Andrew Isaacs, a University of Technology (UTech) lecturer, Powell worked alongside Adrian Bloomfield and Krishna Easy, who contributed to the success of the project.

Bloomfield told The Gleaner Powell was a passionate team player and leader.

"He's very motivated and he is very passionate about his agriculture," he said.

Now that the research is done, Powell is determined to see the plan materialise.

"I'm supposed to be looking for sponsors to build an actual model so we can show it, but if that doesn't come through, the thing I plan to do is to tackle it on my own with the help of my father," he said.

Will never stop farming

With an electrical engineering degree from UTech, Powell plans to complement his farming skills with his increased knowledge, as he will never abandon his first love.

"I will stick to farming most definitely, but the knowledge I gained from my studies as it relates to research and the way I approach things will definitely come into play."
    kimesha.walters@gleanerjm.com

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead5.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X