Rape: The More Things Change....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rape: The More Things Change....

In my comment here on the recent (commendable) march against rape in Jamaica, I might have conveyed my cynical attitude that after all the hype and the public outcry, things will be back to normal in our crime-ridden country. At least, I hope I successfully conveyed my cynicism through that post.

Read the THIRD paragraph of Garth Rattray’s column below while bearing in mind the theme, “The more things change the more they remain the same.” The difference, by the way, of 2003 and 2012 is nine years! Almost a decade!

Real men can't commit rape

Published: Monday | October 8, 2012
    By Garth A. Rattray

Anyone who commits rape, especially with violence, with a weapon or with the threat of violence, is lower than the lowest of slime.

Rapists may be under the stupid misconception that the act gives them power and dominance. But, rape is the most abhorrent, animalistic, ugly, violent and wicked of all acts committed by the vilest of reprobates.

I revisited an article that I penned in 2003 in which I opined that we had reached a new low with the 10-man gang rape of a 14-year-old schoolgirl. But obviously, some in our society are capable of attaining hitherto unimaginable depths.

For a group of armed males to terrorise, rob and then violently and repeatedly defile five defenceless females - two adult women, two teenage girls and a little eight-year-old girl - requires heinous, brutish minds devoid of all human feelings or conscience. No real man would ever entertain the idea of raping anyone.
Working...
X