Those 2009 track and field experts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those 2009 track and field experts!

In 2009, I took on a whole cadre of so-called track-and-field experts on radio. I also earned the wrath of some senior sports personalities in Jamaica that year.

It is now well-known that 2009 was a year that Jamaica “gwaan wid a bag a tings” at the IAAF World Championships in Berlin. This was after that break-out year in Beijing in the Olympics in 2008.

I challenged all that crap on my local radio show in 2009 and clashed with some well-known names. My argument was simple: Jamaica does well in sprinting simply because, as a nation, we were very passionate about running fast. Why we have that passion is as unexplainable as why we have (had) a passion for cricket or dominoes or jerk chicken. As a result of this passion, our youngsters love sprinting. ‘Champs’ provided a ready outlet for this passion, and our recruiting system means that no real talent ever fell through the cracks. The passion also made us develop some great sprint coaches. The year 2009 also provided us with a golden generation of sprinters that was more coincidence than anything else.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...-field-experts
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Weak article, these sports commentators are ignorant of history,how can it be unexplainable when you reference the 100 plus year history of champs as a breeding ground for glory.

If he had put that in, sell offff!!!
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Weak ‘journalist’

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
      X