• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bar raised by synthetic track..A JA High School first

Calabar’s McKenley/Wint Track and Field Classic set for January 23

BY HOWARD WALKER Observer senior reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Calabar High Old Boys Lincoln Eatman (left) and Donovan Perkins take a look at the school’s newly installed synthetic track.

FOUR-TIME defending Boys’ Athletics champions Calabar High School have finally found a date on the cramped JAAA calendar to host the first staging of the McKenley/ Wint Track and Field Classic set for January 23, 2016.

Richard Parchment, a member of the organising committee, revealed that a couple of years ago, the school started with a Herb McKenley Classic but ran into several challenges.

“Our biggest challenge was to get a date, as you know the schedule of track meets is tight. Every weekend has a track meet. Plus another challenge was venue and now that we have our own venue, it’s easier,” Parchment, who is also a part of the successful coaching cadre at the school, told the Jamaica Observer.

Meanwhile, Calabar High, who have won the ISSA Boys’ Athletics Championships for the last four years, are now the owners of a new 400m synthetic track at the campus.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Transfers like crazy going on. All track athletes now want to go to Cbar…except for Jago that just equipped their gym with a full out Nautilus implementation donated by and old boy that works there. Spartan put to shame!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      Transfers like crazy going on. All track athletes now want to go to Cbar…except for Jago that just equipped their gym with a full out Nautilus implementation donated by and old boy that works there. Spartan put to shame!
      Not surprised. Looks like Cbar is going all in on track to try to ketch KC in Champs tikles. If I were to be an alum I'd want to see my school academic infrastructure upgraded first before sitten like dis doh

But all who hope to compete @ Champs will need to upgrade. Now that we've virtually completed our academic related campus upgrades over the past 9 years...it's a good time to look at sports

I can def forsee on our bottom field ...a mini-stadium with a Mondo type track, nice football surface, irrigation system....and stands for say 3K spectators

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

JC start get pretty like Jawges fi real.

Noice.

The "IVY league" of Jam High schools getting better overall. KC looking at investing in their physical infrastructure too.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          Not surprised. Looks like Cbar is going all in on track to try to ketch KC in Champs tikles. If I were to be an alum I'd want to see my school academic infrastructure upgraded first before sitten like dis doh

But all who hope to compete @ Champs will need to upgrade. Now that we've virtually completed our academic related campus upgrades over the past 9 years...it's a good time to look at sports

I can def forsee on our bottom field ...a mini-stadium with a Mondo type track, nice football surface, irrigation system....and stands for say 3K spectators
          FYI there has been a serious push started a couple years ago by the Old Boys Association to upgrade and improve the academic standards at the school. The results will be unveiled in the near future. The physical structure is just part of the overall plans.

COBA Projects 2016

1. Complete COBA Centre of Excellence Project: Calabar Museum, Memorabilia Store and COBA Office project.
          2. Continue the Saturday Mathematics Class program.
          3. Create a Technology Lab within the Science Department.
          4. Continue to facilitate the welfare of our students through our Mentorship and Scholarship programmes.
          5. Sell Calabar branded apparel and memorabilia from the Store and online.
          6. Host the 2016 Annual Reunion Dinner at which several Old Boys who have excelled in the field of Sports will be recognized.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            FYI there has been a serious push started a couple years ago by the Old Boys Association to upgrade and improve the academic standards at the school. The results will be unveiled in the near future. The physical structure is just part of the overall plans.

COBA Projects 2016

1. Complete COBA Centre of Excellence Project: Calabar Museum, Memorabilia Store and COBA Office project.
            2. Continue the Saturday Mathematics Class program.
            3. Create a Technology Lab within the Science Department.
            4. Continue to facilitate the welfare of our students through our Mentorship and Scholarship programmes.
            5. Sell Calabar branded apparel and memorabilia from the Store and online.
            6. Host the 2016 Annual Reunion Dinner at which several Old Boys who have excelled in the field of Sports will be recognized.
            Ok boss...noice

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              JC start get pretty like Jawges fi real.

Noice.

The "IVY league" of Jam High schools getting better overall. KC looking at investing in their physical infrastructure too.
              Well these upgrades are cool fi real...a great first step to making these schools more attractive to the better achieving boys...since we compete with higher performing co-ed schools (for such boys) where girls mainly run di place academically.

The more important reform is much harder...and most have no clue either about its importance or how to implement...

That reform is a decisive move away from the bankrupt "traditional English grammar school" model Jamaicans are still (foolishly) infatuated with....to a 21st century STEM-focused, applications driven and work certification prioritized education system..

When the schools start duh dat...then I might be impressed

The pretty grounds and fancy facilities don't dweet fi mi really

Comment

Progress!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

These surfaces can cost in the region of US1m.. This one is only 6 lanes and I'm sure they got some breaks...so let's guesstimate ~US$600K

In the Jamaican context that's a really huge investment in a sporting activity.

As Jangle is suggesting...I hope C-bar is also up to speed with similar or even increased sized investments on the academic side of things
                  Last edited by Don1; January 8, 2016, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                    As Jangle is suggesting...I hope C-bar is also up to speed with similar or even increased sized investments on the academic side of things
                    I said that to a prominent high schools sports celebrity and was quickly slapped down. I told him that I hope their labs are world class, and their computing facilities and their libraries. Who tell mi fi seh suh?!

I'll always maintain its a hundred times easier to produce doctors than it is to produce a world class athlete in any sport.

I think this move by Calabar is ridiculous and a gigantic waste of money. But this is my Jamaica in 2016 - it's all about sports, entertainment and beauty contests.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dem shoulda buy a lawn mower tuh! Look at the condition of the field around the track!
                      Peter R

Comment

I really hope they got it for a lot less. That would be beyond ridiculous to spend on a Jamaican high school track.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Is not CBar who paid its is Guvvament. GOJ dropped sports investments on 6 schools in the first phase, yuh figget? Cant recall what the basis of selection was.

Comment

You sure bout that Willi, that kind of money?

That would be even more ridiculous than Cbar alum paying for it.
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Exactly!

Matters not who is wasting the money. That is hardly my point. The fact that our sports facilities are prioritised above science labs (physics, chemistry, biology, IT, robotics, etc.) is what it's all about.

I would hope it was the old boys who did it and not the Ministry of...which would it be, Education or Sport?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X