X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former lead vocalist of Chalice dies

Via ONGR
    46 minutes agoFont size:

Oswald Roper formally known as ‘Trevor Roper’ from the Reggae group known as CHALICE passed away yesterday.
    It is understood that Roper who was residing in the USA had been suffering from cancer for a number of years. He was 59..
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

sorry to hear. He was the lead singer for most of their hit.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

oh man! so sorry to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jCNfiCGfU

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Second of the "Originals" to Die

Really sorry to hear as well.

He’s the second member of that 1980s reggae group to die. Their very charismatic keyboard player Michael Wallace was killed back in the 1990s (at the time Wallace had left Chalice and was keyboard player for Third World, having replaced Ibo Cooper).

By the way, Wallace and Ervin “Alla” Lloyd were the two keyboard players in the original Chalice band.

Comment

Was it keyboard? You should know. But he was a friend of mine, having met at tennis tournaments. Was very proud of his achievements. He was a Fortis if I remember correctly.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Re: Was it keyboard?

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Was it keyboard? You should know. But he was a friend of mine, having met at tennis tournaments. Was very proud of his achievements. He was a Fortis if I remember correctly.
            Yep, Mo, it was keyboards (synthesizer).

The manner of his death was particularly tragic in that when he was shot it was apparently a case of mistaken identity.

Michael Wallace was actually a very good keyboard player, and someone who could take impromptu extended solos. That’s how good a player he was! In fact, it really came as no surprise to me that after Michael “Ibo” Cooper left Third World, he was replaced by Michael Wallace.

Chalice, when it was formed back in 1980, boasted two keyboard players, Michael along with Ervin “Alla” Lloyd. Chalice was a very good, tight reggae outfit which, unfortunately, failed to make any major impact whatsoever outside of Jamaica.

And, slightly off topic but on the subject of reggae groups, Sickko once mentioned a Mobay drummer by the name of Tony “Ruption” Williams. This guy Tony became the drummer for Third World immediately after Willi Stewart left. Whenever you get a chance, check out a live video or audio recording by Third World band with Tony Williams. This guy is the real deal; a truly awesome, really talented drummer! (Check out his drumming, for example, on Third World’s version of the Police’s (Sting) “De Doo Doo De….”)

Comment

Working...
            X