RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Upper/Middle Class mean affluent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Is there anything wrong with being rich? Assuming it was earned by legal means and hard work?

BTW I am by no means what I would consider "rich"
    Peter R

Comment

the many below middle class can't just like in Jamaica. the middle class can. Last time mi check (round 2007) , Hillell which is the one of the most expensive schools in JA, run you round 5k US a year and American International where all the Diplomat/Expat pickney dem go was around 8-9k.

Comment

Absolutely not, and that is one of the mindsets that is holding back societies like ours and black people in general. If you get "rich" from music or sports that is legitimate and to be celebrated, any other way is suspect.

My theory is that most people believe that for one person to have more it means that others have to have less, that there is a fixed sum of money in the world and don't understand that wealth is not like matter, it can be created and destroyed.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

As I grew older I realized that in our zeal (for many Jamaicans) to be "equal" with all other Jamaicans, as in "all ah we a suffarah"... we decide dat is only "white man" cyan own boat, go nort coast, play tennis and gulf, go to a "good" school etc etc and by so doing denied ourselves many pleasures that our own island had/has to offer.
          Peter R

Comment

Right...., just as a lot of wealth has disappeared recently, but it will only be a matter of time...
            Peter R

Comment

Exactly. I listen to some personal finance radio programs and one of the common questions asked about the financial crisis was "Where did all that money go, who has it?"

Truth, be told I think subconsciously I had that mindset too until I read some basic economics. When we are bombarded with statements like "The rich are getting richer , the poor are getting poorer" I suppose we can't expect people to think otherwise.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Nuff people can't afford 5 grand a year plus mortgage and car payment at the same time so yu gwaan.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Them have to decide how dem a share out dem money.

Comment

Exactly. If I can find a way to do it anybody can. Truss me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      cause you're a parsimonious little twerp!
                      I am not parsimonious

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        Hmmmm..... I can assure you that where I come from any doctor in town is in the top 10% of income earners. And I don't come from Riverton or Back-o-Wall.
                        Maybe in the town definitely not in the whole of Jamaica. Now many of the younger guys own medical office complex's and the like so that is an entirely different story. Doctor is the last place people gonna spend dem money and it's not like America where they have insurance companies to keep the flow of patients coming in.

Comment

Brickie mi use to think so but just give thanks you can because some people story nuh easy at all and some have to make all kind of choices which may not involve luxury spending.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In Ja people have fi bear weight just for been "rich" and that is the problem. Rich people a "wicked".

The mentalility that we invest and make more jobs, and try and get more work done. Nothing is wrong with been middle class at all.

I middle class youth mek mi play football inna boots fi the first time. Him lend it to me. A middle class youth spare mi a lunch money some a di time when it tuff, a middle class youth mek mi get a ride go a party more time.
                            Last edited by Assasin; April 21, 2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Bricky if Jamaica had 270,000 doctors we would probably own trinidad and Barbados.

Top 10% ? More like top 1%... Yuh nuh hear sen 33% squatting ?

LOL !

Comment

What can happen when a bwoy get dip...

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                                I'll remember that next time I'm ordering a Bean Burrito and a cup of water from Taco bell for lunch. i cyaan even tell yuh when last a buy a new shirt, pants or shoes to rhattid.
                                ...And is sent home to fulljoy the "Full Black Experience"

Dummy Dipping Into The Full Black Experience Chronicles - Vol 1
                                Last edited by Don1; July 9, 2020, 03:31 PM.
                                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X