Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question...

After watching the women's game for some time now, and admittedly not with the same sense of passion that I watch the men's game, I wonder if the women's game will ever rise to the level of entertainment the men's game enjoys. There are some skillful players, but by and large, even the best women playing in the world cup don't *appear* to be even at the level of the average sunday afternoon skill balla. Maybe Sepp was right...tighter shorts? To be fair, the women's game is probably 80 years or so behind the men's game in its development, but I am not sure what they have to do to draw level...or even close - any ideas?
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Funny, I use to say the same about women's tennis, then Steffi Graf came along and a bunch of super athletic women that totally changed the pace and the feel of the game. Not sure it will really happen in women's football, many of the players still move in an awkward, unathletic way, I don't think we are close to seeing the cream of the crop athletically of the women that play ball. I really enjoyed seeing Mia Hamm play she moved in a very efficient and smooth manner, like a real baller.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
      Funny, I use to say the same about women's tennis, then Steffi Graf came along and a bunch of super athletic women that totally changed the pace and the feel of the game. Not sure it will really happen in women's football, many of the players still move in an awkward, unathletic way, I don't think we are close to seeing the cream of the crop athletically of the women that play ball. I really enjoyed seeing Mia Hamm play she moved in a very efficient and smooth manner, like a real baller.
      Well, if you could find a pile of Stefi Grafs and Serena Williams to play along with the Mia Hamms of the world (there has been no adequate successor), then, it would be interesting. Speed wise, the most elite women can match most top footballers, but there is something in their game that is "just not there yet". I am not sure what it is. Maybe we do need a "Stefi Graf" to come along to change the game.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

A call for the end of Women’s football http://www.catalystmedia.org.uk/issu...s_football.php

By Craig Woods There was a time when women’s football was just as popular as men’s. For example, on Boxing Day in 1920, Goodison Park was packed to its 53,000 capacity, with an estimated 10-14,000 people unable to get in. Dick, Kerr Ladies Football Team were taking on their arch rivals St. Helen’s. Although this was the highest ever recorded attendance for a women’s football match in the UK, games were regularly attended by tens of thousands, often drawing far larger crowds than the men’s matches. Given that women played for the purpose (apart from fun) of raising money for a diverse range of causes - often linked to the war - the game was viewed in a post-war, economically-ravaged, Britain as a charitable goldmine. Indeed, in 1921 Dick, Kerr’s had to refuse about 120 invitations from MPs and Mayors around the country. Such matches were played under a staggeringly ceremonial atmosphere with welcoming parties composed of local dignitaries, brass bands accompanying the players onto the pitch, celebrity ‘kick offs’, and grand post-match civic receptions. Players such as Edith Hutton, Sue Chorley and Polly Scott were literally household names in the 1920s.

However, for those involved in such civically esteemed activities - who in today’s figures raised millions -, to use a cliché, ‘their game was up’. In 1921 the F.A. consolidated its erstwhile efforts and officially banned women from being affiliated. ‘Expert’ medical opinions were used to bolster the view that it was in the best interests of everyone that women did not play football. For example, in 1920 a Dr Arabella Kenealy published the laughably titled report, Feminism and Sex Extinction. She warned of how ‘over-use, in sports and games, of the muscles of shoulder and chest, occasions atrophy of mammary glands... such sterilisation, where it is not producing actually diseased and degenerate offspring, is producing a pitiful race of pallid and enfeebled babes and children’. This view dovetailed perfectly with the concerns expressed that year by the National Birth Rate Commission regarding falling childbirth rates. Suddenly the nation was doomed if women carried on playing football.

Comment

...but they attempt to play simple sensible ball on a more consistent basis than the men!

If our ReggaeBoyz attempted to be as consistent at sensible ball playing they would be in FIFA's top 10! ...OK...FIFA's top 20, consistently!!! Yes, even with our less than top world skilled players!!!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The women's game needs more Martas.

And maybe Ronaldo will transition enough to be able to play women's football.

Yeah, I said it cause I meant it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Paul yesterday I watch one of Georgia top Girls team Top Hat playing at a 3v3 tournament. I think it was u12 and I tell you it was a beauty to behold. Don't know if your girl has ever played against them but they have some really good teams.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                The women's game needs more Martas.

And maybe Ronaldo will transition enough to be able to play women's football.

Yeah, I said it cause I meant it!
                "And maybe Ronaldo will transition enough to be able to play women's football" - would he change is name to "Caitlin"?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  Paul yesterday I watch one of Georgia top Girls team Top Hat playing at a 3v3 tournament. I think it was u12 and I tell you it was a beauty to behold. Don't know if your girl has ever played against them but they have some really good teams.
                  Yes, I know Top Hat well. My daughter played in an tournament that they were in out in Arizona two years ago, but we were in separate brackets. They are well known. The striker for the girls U16 team is Jamaican, I forget her name. Her brother played for the U17 Jamaican team a few years ago.

Comment

yeah man. A the first I saw a woman team making so many silky moves. My and my brother in law was watching and all we were saying was WOW!!!.

A really good program.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                      "And maybe Ronaldo will transition enough to be able to play women's football" - would he change is name to "Caitlin"?
                      Cristiana Ronaldo.

He loves himself too much to stray too far from his original name.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X