Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Captain...

We need the best TEAM....

With Jamaica now in the final round of CONCACAF qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup where they are set to face tough challenges from the likes of Mexico, USA, Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica, the belief is that the current squad needs strengthening, with a number of overseas-based players being suggested.

Jamaica went through the last round scoring nine goals from six games while conceding six. Six of the team's goals came in two games with the other four matches failing to produce a goal from open play.

"I think we have the players. Certainly, we have to unearth all the talent that is possible -every single talent that is available. Certainly, the coaching staff will get an opportunity, and in the end, to have the best 11 at all times on the field of play," Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president, Captain Horace Burrell, said on Tuesday night, shortly after Jamaica defeated Antigua and Barbuda 4-1 to clinch the final-round spot.

"This, again, is the responsibility of the coaching staff to put the best 11 on the field of play. We must find the money to make this happen, and this is exactly what the JFF intends to do going forward."

One of the players that the JFF is interested in recalling to the programme is 30-year-old Jobi McAnuff, who represented the nation once in May 2002 when he came on as a substitute in an exhibition game against Nigeria at Loftus Road. The midfielder captains Reading in the English Premier League.

"In respect to Jobi McAnuff, coach (Theodore) Whitmore interviewed him and, at the conclusion, expressed to me his desire in having him (McAnuff)," Burrell said. "Jobi McAnuff said to us, at that time, his team Reading had just qualified to play in the premiership in England and, at that particular time, he would not have been available, but ... he said, 'Let us adopt a wait-and-see attitude'.

"He wanted to be here, but based on his commitment to his team -he is the captain - he was asking for some more time. So coach Whitmore and his staff interviewed Jobi and are satisfied that he is the type of player that has the right attitude and all that it takes to become a Reggae Boy. It is just a matter of time."

Whitmore believes the first task, after qualification for the final round, is an assessment of the team's showing in the previous round.

"We want to look back at this round of qualification and then we will see how to approach the next phase," Whitmore said.

ryon.jones@gleanerjm.com
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Me like da talk deh

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
      Me like da talk deh
      Agree!! But let's hope Tappa does not strengthen the Reggae Boyz squad with any "Marcus Gayles".

Comment

you think Tappa think he start any of those games with anything less than the best 11 available.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

'sassin, you gats to play the hand you are dealt.

Give Tappa a better hand with better players --and he will start the best 11.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Why was Hue brought in at the 11th hour for the Guatemala game & not before?
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

that a the coaches decision but the game before that he thought he had the best 11until they lost.

When you hear Burrell talking bout best 11, it is his way of telling the coach to win or else. I am sure you don't want Burrell or technical committee deciding the "best eleven".
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Because maybe he was confident that he had the team required to defeat the USA and Guatemala in dominant fashion, which he did. Maybe he was waiting for Hue to be back playing in the local league instead of Bronx League scrimmage.

Comment

In Tappa mind he thought he had the best 11 but now he don't, and thats the same reason that Klinsmann had to call Dempsay who did not play for 4 mounths and call back the vets Bocanegro and a few others at first he thought he had the best team

Comment

Originally posted by linx uk View Post
                    In Tappa mind he thought he had the best 11 but now he don't, and thats the same reason that Klinsmann had to call Dempsay who did not play for 4 mounths and call back the vets Bocanegro and a few others at first he thought he had the best team
                    Dempsey has always been one of his go to people and has always been in his plans. Bocanegra is the captain of the team, but has been the worst defender in the team since rejoining.

Comment

Working...
                    X