This has been the best WC since '82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has been the best WC since '82

My approach coming into this WC was to just enjoy it without having one favourite team. Many of my friends couldn't believe that a football aficionado like myself didn't have a favourite team. I've stop rooting for a single team from about the last two World Cups. The gap between the traditional powerhouses in football and the minnows has closed. This has been coming for the past 10 or so years now with influx of big money into club football. What we are seeing now is a result of the influx of players from faraway countries playing in the the top European teams. Another reason is FIFA's worldwide efforts to improve football in many Third World countries.

However, my main reason for not picking a single favourite is because all teams today play the same football. Again this goes back to the influx of big money in football. Today, coaches set up their teams not to lose first and then win on the breakaway. Gone are the days of individualism. We are not going to see or rarely will we ever see a team winning a game on a player's individual brilliance. No more Pele, no more Maradonna, no more Ronaldo (The Original) and no more Roberto Carlos. Maybe before the end of this World Cup we may be singing the name of someone new, but I won't hold my breath.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

You forgot to plug in football regions like Asia- Japan/Korea and North -USA/Can and Central america- Mex, that have invested in leagues giving populations or nations in those regions/areas a chnace to develop local talent at home.

Special mention to African Leagues.

https://www.soccerladuma.co.za/fan-p...th-africa/5188
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      My approach coming into this WC was to just enjoy it without having one favourite team. Many of my friends couldn't believe that a football aficionado like myself didn't have a favourite team. I've stop rooting for a single team from about the last two World Cups. The gap between the traditional powerhouses in football and the minnows has closed. This has been coming for the past 10 or so years now with influx of big money into club football. What we are seeing now is a result of the influx of players from faraway countries playing in the the top European teams. Another reason is FIFA's worldwide efforts to improve football in many Third World countries.

However, my main reason for not picking a single favourite is because all teams today play the same football. Again this goes back to the influx of big money in football. Today, coaches set up their teams not to lose first and then win on the breakaway. Gone are the days of individualism. We are not going to see or rarely will we ever see a team winning a game on a player's individual brilliance. No more Pele, no more Maradonna, no more Ronaldo (The Original) and no more Roberto Carlos. Maybe before the end of this World Cup we may be singing the name of someone new, but I won't hold my breath.
      Good overall opinion.

The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        Good overall opinion.

Nice. The playing field is getting level

Comment

How dem rob Senegal has left a bitter taste in my mouth , until the next game.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Jangle .in Qatar a african team going to take the cup home.
            Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
            United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
            happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
            Probably forthcoming...

Comment

I agree, this has been an excellent tournament so far. So much excitement and so many twists and turns.

However, I can't get on board with this part of your analysis:

The gap between the traditional powerhouses in football and the minnows has closed. This has been coming for the past 10 or so years now with influx of big money into club football. What we are seeing now is a result of the influx of players from faraway countries playing in the the top European teams. Another reason is FIFA's worldwide efforts to improve football in many Third World countries.
              For me it's just way too premature to make this claim. Yes, there are always surprises and upsets in the group stage, round of 16, and occasionally the quarterfinals. But to go the full route in this tournament requires the highest quality all the way though the squad, since injuries and suspensions are inevitable. And for all the talk about how "the gap has closed" it always seems to be a powerhouse lifting trophy in the end.
              "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
              - Xavi

Comment

Well we will see at the end. I hope I’m proven correct.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

“Today, coaches set up their teams not to lose first and then win on the breakaway. Gone are the days of individualism.”

There you go. Mother Russia

Comment

Well we will see at the end. I hope I’m proven correct.
                    Well, there we have it: once again, a powerhouse lifting the trophy.

And while Croatia, a country of only 4 million, made to the final you have to keep in mind that they also made it to the semis in 1998. So hardly a "minnow".

Also, in the quarterfinals were 6 European teams and 2 South American (Brazil & Uruguay), and the semis were an entirely European affair.

So I still don't see any closed gap yet.
                    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                    - Xavi

Comment

I reluctantly agree with you. The single African teams were a major disappointment to me. Also MexTico. To date France has been the most successful African team.

Comment

I reluctantly agree with you. The single African teams were a major disappointment to me. Also MexTico. To date France has been the most successful African team.
                        Yes, it was a disastrous WC for Africa, the worst since 1982.

For Mexico it was pretty much par for the course; strong in the group stage and then crashing out in the round of 16. Been the case since 1994.

And I know your France-as-African-team comment was mainly tongue in cheek. But at the same time it does a bit of a disservice to their country as a developer of talent, as every player on that team is a product of French football (not African).
                        - Xavi

Comment

Working...
                        X