Player Ratings (seen against Stoni's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Ratings (seen against Stoni's)

My ratings, in blue, for semi and finals only. Stoni's was after the Antigua game, I believe.

Gray - 5
    Very interesting player, lots of potential, lots of flaws.
    Summary - he had five good plays and four bad plays
    Worse play was Weston running by and past him to get the ball at around the 50 minute, that was plain bad, showed no heart, no response, apathy, or worse yet no speed. second really bad play was probably worse at around minute 61 left attacking man alone in space, then ventured over for a tackle, got chopped badly and the man got off a shot.
    Best play was running and getting into space for a nice pass from Grant and a wicked shot on goal from angle at 86th minute.
    Second good play good take away at 82-83rd minute. Had a few other nice plays and bad plays.
    He will need to improve or get help versus Haiti on defensive side.
    8, 9 – Did he play a perfect game in the final? Gray passed well, made good decisions, tackled brilliantly, controlled the entire left side of the field. Box to box player?!?! How about touchline to touchline player! What were you saying about “lots of flaws” again, Stoni? ☺

Richards -6 excellent running and dribbling on multiple occasion, especially in first half, fell off in intensity and contribution in second, still overall good. Multiple good crosses, with resulting danger on goal on multiple occasions, five to be specific all dangerous. Had an assist that led to second goal.
    3, 4 – Non-existent in the Haiti match. If it were not for a beautiful shot on goal early in the final, he would have been non-existent there too!

Taxi man Lawrence - 7
    Did what he was supposed to do, loved the way he closed out Peter Byers at 11:05, clearly fast and knows how to use it, loved his hustle on a loose ball and his goal was just wickedly aggressive, like a hungry hawk jumping on a wayward chick. Yeah that got my adrenaline up. Very little in the way of mistakes or bad plays that I saw.
    7, 8 – Silly hand ball in the Haiti match marred a good game. Played well in the final but makes some rash tackles from time to time.

Powell - 7 strong, consistent, nice cutouts and clearances in box when absolutely needed, good fight and take of ball and initiated the attack on one occasion, saw a lot of good fight and follow through. Nice, very nice, did not see any mistakes I can remember.
    7, 7 – played strong defensively, with strong, sure tackles, good in the air. His passing out of defence was woeful.

Taylor - 4 did his job for most part nothing memorable at all, poor pass in 17th minute or thereabouts is only thing noticeable. For a senior man with Nuff experience, very disappointing.
    7, 7 – Best couple of matches I have seen Taylor play. He usually gives away the ball carelessly in dangerous positions. Didn’t do so in the last two matches.

Austin - 8 excellent night, very effective everywhere in defense and in attack and in transition. A number of good passes, one poor pass at 32nd minute. Good goal, had an excellent creative pass to Richards who then passed to create the second goal. One poor free kick.
    7, 8 – Long crosses connected tonight for the most part. Played his heart out all over the pitch. Can’t figure out why someone with such a great shot can’t score more often. Mr. Good Try.

Watson - 4 did basic job, bad pass at 66 minute, one good stop at 57th, and a yellow card. Again, disappointed with his value add, saw nothing of note.
    4, 5 – Just had an awful match against Haiti. Made some poor decisions in the final. Was he protecting himself? Isn’t his MLS season over?!

Dawkins - 8 love this youth, I still cannot understand why he has so few assists, he can do it all, our best version of Sturridge in my books, confident on the ball, moves at speed with ball at close quarters, good shifty movement, good passing, good interchange, good shooter, love the potential.
    I counted at least six or seven just interesting value add type plays at least five very good passes one of the best was a sweet little release to McAnuff down the side of the box around the 67th minute with a bunch of nice interchanges with McAnuff and others just before that., had one poor pass at 30th minute, good shot at 75 minute. We need to see more of this player!!!!!
    9, 8 – A handful for the Haitian defenders. Combined well with his teammates, esp. in the semis. and scored a good goal, assisted on another (?) Plays with confidence which must rub off on rest of team.

Mattocks - 6, surprised me, he really played well for nice stretches, kind of disappeared somewhat in the second half. Saw one aggressive come to a loose ball that made me go, 'ah mattocks dat'!
    Good goal, good movement to goal on multiple occasions.
    8, 8 – Needs to play like an international baller. The showboating thing – unnecessary step overs, stopping the flow to look at sprawled out defenders – not going to cut it. But he gets into great goalscoring positions and has good eye for goal.

McAnuff - 8 doing a lot, totally committed, a warrior all the way throughout, a leader doing what leaders do, lead the way in attack, in defense, very creative, adding real new value, stuff we really have not seen consistently through the years with the sweet little combos with Dawkins, creating space and confusion for Antigua, we should have scored two more. On one occasion good dribble leading the attack which failed but ran back fifty yards harassing the ball handler all the way, this allows others to get back, slows down the counter and potentially can lead to regaining the ball instead of inviting a new attack, these types of plays are the difference between winning and losing. Good leadership on that. Bad pass at 79 minute to no one. Overall very nice combos with Dawkins and others on left and through the middle, showed that he wants to be here and wants to lead from the front. A few very nice shots on goals.
    8, 9 – Didn’t see the great hustle in the Haitian game that so many said they saw. He was great going forward, connecting on his passes and making great decisions.

Seaton - 7, very impressive in a very short time as a sub he showed a lot, four very significant plays In a short space of time, nice pass to Richards at 78th minute with a direct shot that could have easily been a goal. Seems to have the potential to be a good passer, carried the ball nicely a few times, with confidence and vision.
    7, 6 – Downgraded grade in final because of the horrible penalty kick. Otherwise, I like his runs, decision-making, passing.

Joel grant - 7 also very good, impressive, sprung a nice little pass to gray at 86 with resulting shot on crossbar. Cross to Austin for third goal at 87th minute, nice carry and control at 89 minute.
    6, 6 – Another with the tendency to showboat. Held up the ball well in the final but couldn’t get past the T&T defence line. Did enough to earn future call ups.

Campbell - 4 did not see anything at all, maybe one little battle for the ball, not enough time to see much.
    Did not play in semi or final.

Demar Phillips – 5 Maybe one of the worst games I have seen him play for the Boyz. Is he actively playing or has the age thing caught up with him?

Andre Blake – 10, 10. Did he put a wrong foot forward? Starts the game well, saved a penalty against Haiti and one in the PKs in the final. I cannot remember an error, so he gets a perfect score.

Coach Shafer - 7, 6 Why does he persist with some players?!? He gets mucho props for having faith in 2 local ballers for the entire match.

Did I forget anyone?
    Last edited by Mosiah; November 19, 2014, 06:59 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Nice job sah, good stuff. Yuh killing me with the Gray thing, he played better but i am still a little wary, will have to see him a few more times. He is amazing in transition and supporting the attack, but that is brawta, the yam and dasheen is on the defense side, first tings first, he played well in the final.

Lawrence is a little monster, nuff tenacity and fight, my kind of player that. Him tek it personal!! No bwai can get past me!!! by the hook or the crook!

McAnuff is amazing, I just sat there wondering really, can we wind back the clock on this breda and get him back at 25.

We really have no way of identifying in the past the intangible thing that Schafer looks for first after establishing that the fundamental talent is there, he's looking for fighters, he is looking for man with guts who can play team first. Mcanuff is that type of player, Austin is that type of player.

Comment

Stoni, I have seen many matches with Gray. He hardly ever has a bad match. First, he is super fit, fast as they come, and just does everything right, offensively and defensively. Those who don't know him will talk about the shot that crashed against the upright in these finals. I have seen him score many like that. He is the real deal!!!

Nuh McAnuff miss the goal against Mexico? Him just salt in that regard. But yes, he is a general. I hope Romario Campbell understood why he could not break into this team and do what it takes to change that in the future. Afterall, McAnuff is almost 10 years older.

If Shafer like "man with guts", please explain the persistence with Richards, and even Watson?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You guys need to lay off Watson; he played his role very well especially considering his schedule. Gray appears to be the real deal.

Comment

Special shot-out to the trainers/physios/doctor(s). They did a great jobs keeping the players fresh and ready throughout the tournament. Schaefer basically stuck with the same group throughout and they never faltered. I think that is due to the work behind the scene with folks like the physios and team doctor(s).

Comment

Originally posted by TheDread View Post
            You guys need to lay off Watson; he played his role very well especially considering his schedule. Gray appears to be the real deal.
            I also thought Watson did well throughout. He probably had a few bad touches here and there but I think his performance allowed the likes of McAuff and Austin to step up and have dominating games. Watson did exceptionally well considering the workload he came off to join up with the squad.

Comment

Didn't consider external factors, just what I saw on the field.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Watson and Richards...

You ARE the weakest link..

How Shavah tek suh long fi replace Richards with Joel Grant.. chalk and cheese !

Maybe I need to be a head coach to understand dem ting deh...

Comment

Watson played fairly we in my opinion. It was not an error free performance but it was far from error laden and I think the satisfactorily did his job

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Based on what I see of Grey, He can be faked with wingers who are cutter? but you can't speed pass him just like that down the wing. Very good in attack and read well when the space is open on his wing he takes advantage. very good crosses and with him and lawerence at Wingbacks we need to play 4 defenders and provide some coverage for him if he is beaten on the inside.

Lawerence is a wicked tackler. I doubt he was beatean twice in this tournament.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      Based on what I see of Grey, He can be faked with wingers who are cutter? but you can't speed pass him just like that down the wing.
                      Guess he'll just have to prove you wrong with that too.

And it's Gray.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

thanks. yes he took those beaten too easily the other day, but he is an asset to the team, if you know the weakness you can work with it, ask Karl. It is all about TEAM. LOL!!!
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I basically just have two questions on gray, one is his speed and tied to that his response, which I guess is two things there. Still not clear on his speed, he shows good get up and go in the open running without the ball and without someone running beside him, so not sure how fast he really is and the one time I saw him running to a ball that someone played around him he got plain beat. But that can also be chalked up to nerves and opening night etc etc.
                          The shot against the upright was nothing but brilliant getting in that space at pace with a defender on and shooting like that I can give nothing but kudos on that.

The other thing that I am not sure of is what drives his brain, with Lawrence I can plainly see he is like a Pitbull I know what I am dealing with there, he is fast and he wants to be master of his domain, and he doesn't overcommit so he may also have a little wizzy there as well.

I don't have a clear sense of what drives him on defense, will have to watch more. Almost seems that he is more of an attacking player by nature that got moved into defense than a basic defensive player that is a good attacker.

McAnuff and the goal thing look like something from another dimension!

Comment

Coach Shafer - 7, 6 Why does he persist with some players?!? He gets mucho props for having faith in 2 local ballers for the entire match.
                            Yaah eediat?? Nuh Jeezas im name?

Im nuh muss ave faith inna im followers????
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

yes he did what he needed to do and was always in position. Made one or two bad pass but he was steady.

Comment

Working...
                              X