Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good, the bad, and the hugly!

The Good

A super energised Darren Mattocks who singlehandledly gave our WC campaign some hope.

I know some may disagree with me here, but I thought Austin's distribution was excellent. He showed for the ball and passed brilliantly! His defensive effort was a bit lacking tho. (Unnu know me by now - mi nuh wait pon di experts to tell mi who good or play good.)

The Bad

Hector had a horrible game. Was the ground too hard for his liking? Was that the reason why the ball kept running away from him resulting in him lunging to regain control and resulting in the 3rd goal? When unnu see the very knowledgeable bleachers crowd start boo his every touch... This was not the Hector we warmed to, the careful and safe player. All of a sudden he thought he was a dribble. It failed badly! Two straight games now, Hecky. Pick it up! Wi not going out like dis!

Taxi, the man selected for both Copa and Gold Cup 1st teams, had a very ordinary night.

Starting Alvas was a mistake.

There was no hustle in defence.

Losing to Nicaragua 3-2 is a bad thing. And winning in Nicaragua by 2 clear goals will not be easy!!!

The Hugly
    "Da black bwoy deh nuh good!" - spectator behind me blurted after Taxi skied a cross too long. He never uttered even once - "Da red/brown bwoy deh nuh good!" - when presented with many opportunities to do so by Michael Hector.

The constant lay dung pon di pitch by the Nicaraguans is going to ruin the game. If FIFA rules now state - "Attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)" - and must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card, then certainly we can give referees the discretion to rule on other cases of feigning injury so as to waste time and wreck the flow of the game. The spectators deserve better!

<Some have referred to simulation as a menace to footballers with real, sometimes life-threatening, injuries or conditions. On 24 May 2012, English FA referee Howard Webb spoke to a FIFA medical conference in Budapest about the importance of curbing simulation in football, as players feigning injury could put players with serious medical issues in jeopardy. Earlier that year, he had to deal with the collapse of Fabrice Muamba, who suffered cardiac arrest during an FA Cup match.> - Clearly, this serious concern could apply to those who fall to the ground on account of some gentle breeze that struck them in the face, in an attempt to waste time.

In my opinion, referees should have the discretion to keep the player off the field for as much as 10 minutes as he receives medical help. I bet that alone would seriously curb this dreadful habit.

Competition disciplinary committees should also be able to revisit video and issue serious fines to players adjudged as feigning injury for any reason whatsover.

Giving referees this discretionay power is not new. Take a look at any World Cup or English league game from the 70s and 80s and you will see referees tell feigning players to get up as they run off and allow play to continue. I have never heard of a ref getting into trouble because he ignored a player who was indeed seriously injured.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Mi nuh bizniz wha you want seh, I do not see where Hector caused the third goal. Was it his fault that Austin could not control the ball passed to him and allowed the Nicraugan winger to take it from him and started the play towards the touchline?

I recorded the game today on the rerun, so I could view it for myself. I still do not see how he is responsible, although I keep hearing all Jamaicans up in arms and blaming Hector.

I think Powell and Lawrence did more damage to our defensive efforts than Hector. But I think Hector makes for easy pickings. Good thing I saw the game for myself.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

That third goal was the last straw for most of us with Hector.

But trust me, even if he was not responsible for that goal, most of us had already had it with his dilly-dallying with the ball. There were a few occasions well when, were it not for some desperate lunge (one of which could have resulted in a broken leg or two!) our goalkeeper would have been staring down the barrel yet again.

But don't take my word for it. Listen to the boos that rang out every time your Chelsea balla got the ball. (Cah dats di real reason why yuh a support him! Mi a nuh eediat! )

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I was perplexed as the fanz boo-ed every time he made a good play
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

that wasn't a pass to Austin. That was tackle required because of his overdribbling that hit Austin.

Comment

It had gone bad already. Only if he scored the winning goal would the crowd have shown its appreciation.

And how many good plays did he make, anyway? Not giving away the ball is not considered a good play in my book!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Only him one get booed???
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

First him kick the ball out of bounds under no pressure and you start hearing the usual cussing.
                Then on the second goal he got there in time to make a play and did not try to tackle the person or because he is awkward he wasn't able to extend his foot to the ball. Either way, more grumbling start bout the Chelsea tall man.
                Then on two occasions, he decides to dribble with the ball, and almost lose it. then you start hear "this man come a Jamaica come take wi fi eediat" "him sell out the Gold Cup, now want to sell out the World Cup"

If he came out in the second half and started brightly he probably would have been okay. But the first thing he does is try to dribble around multiple players, has to make a last ditch kick that deflects off Austin and the opponents score on the counter.
                The immediately after that, he goes to intercept a pass and somehow misses the ball and the Nicaraguans break at our goal, but Blake stopped the play and the ball was a few feet from him with just him and Hector and then when Blake calls for the ball and is going to pick it up, he passes to a man under pressure and we turn over the ball again.

At that point "boooooooooooooooo" from all over the place. From that point on, it was boos and him letting go of the ball quickly and making good defensive plays. I felt bad for the young man, but a lot of it he brought onto himself. I think jetlag also players a factor because he was the last man into the squad since he was completing his Chelsea paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  Only him one get booed???
                  Dawkins get some clap. If Winnie left him on any longer, he probably would have gotten boo at the rate he was messing up and casually walking around when we under 3. .

Comment

I have watched that play over and over and I place the blame on Austin for losing the ball. I watched the play a number of times after I heard people blaming Hector for the third goal and that is not what I see. An Austin miscontrol led to the Nicaraguan muscling in and stealing the ball off Austin.

I think Jamaicans were just ready to crucify the young man, so any percieved mistake was not accepted. Fans booing their own teammate though is so counterproductive, especially when you are chasing the game. Talk about being fickle.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

And i have seen the replay many times. It was Hector losing the ball and then tackling the ball to Austin. You can call that a pass if you want.

Jamaicans gave him a lot of rope and he decided to go on a dribbling spree again, despite the previous mess ups when he attempted the same thing in the first half.Hector has no one to blame for the boo, but Michael Hector.

Comment

Only Hector one played the fool! I don't know if the Chelsea ting get to him head but he was not the Hector we had grown to love and forgive.

Simon Dawkins now, he played within himself. Him just nuh good. Can't boo a man fi dat.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Fans boo players all the time when they know the player seems to be selling out people tings!

Is you one I know who think that Hector did nothing wrong. I admire your lone stance, but you are wrong.

And again, even if that play was Austin's fault, are you trying to say that Hector had a sterling evening up to that point?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Kemar had a very bad game as well and Powell wasn't stellar either. Hard for me to just boo Hector. Never seen Kemar play anything close to this.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Having a bad game is one thing. Lord knows the stadium would be a House of Boos if we were to start booing players just because they are bad.

I think the crowd was reacting to the fact that we know that Hector is not a bad player, despite the 2 mistakes that cost us the Gold Cup. Chelsea don't just sign any and any player these days. And when you make a bad dribble and almost lose the ball, not once, but twice and then a third friggin time!!!!

It was very understandable!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X