The most Stupid rule by the US Soccer Federation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really???
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
      My U10 boys played our first game of the season with these new rules...there are pros and cons. The pro is that the boys are now forced to try to control the ball with their chest or other parts of their body...the con is that they are now "getting out of the way" when the ball goes in the air, not always the right move and of course, they are not learning to head the ball. The biggest advantage is that it forces them to keep the ball on the ground.
      Here's an article I read a while ago that stresses exactly those things:

Benefits of heading ban are clear to see
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

This is all good and politically correct. What do you do on a corner? stop taking them? Proper coaching would take care of excessive heading. My kid u10 team rarely head because they play it on the ground but in the case of a corner if a defender clear the ball with a header it is a penalty and if the forward score a goal it is foul.

Stop punting the ball, play the ball on the ground, teach proper technique of controlling the ball. If a ball is punt very few kids control it. Some will do but other going to dodge and ninja kick. I give them five years to abandon it or change it.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Let's look at this . The issue of concussions is serious but I don't know how many kids have concussions from heading a ball. I'm my experience of coaching or playing youth and adult soccer I have seen 2 concussion, none which was caused by heading , rather is was defender getting hit by own keeper inadvertently and striker running into keeper. I am sure it happens but I am saying it happens more from unexpected collisions than heading so you would be better of teAching kids the proper technique. Now if you looked at playing with appropriate field and ball size I think heading high speed balls goes down dramatically. For example if u8 is3v3, 5v5 the nature of that small side game restrict headers. As you go to 7v7 it's the same and you can implement the retreat line (which I don't like) but that allow the team to build from the back and play through the lines. Up to u12 should be 9v9 with size 4s so I don't see the need to ban it but explain it.

Comment

Count me as someone who predicts this will not be the least bit detrimental to youth development in the country.
            "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
            - Xavi

Comment

Working...
            X