No announcement yet.

Gwaan Bartlett!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I said that tourism is and can be the main driver of the Jamaican economy, some people rant and rave about STEM. This is because they have such a narrow view of the industry and its potential. The two are intricately tied to each other. However, developing and building out on the existing tourism industry is the faster and the most logical way towards achieving the goal of a more modern and sustainable economy. Getting the poor youths of the ghettos into jobs now, albeit low-skilled, has more far-reaching long-term benefits than trying to change Jamaica's economy into a STEM-driven one.

Dominica Republic, Brazil, Mexico and other Latin countries are already benefiting from Health Tourism. If the government spend some money towards developing this sector, it will inevitably improve Jamaica's health system and go a long way towards retaining medical personnel.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

yes that is the way I see it too. It needs a private-public sector combination. Halfmoon already have their private hospital and you have one other in Mobay but those are very small.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        jamaica have very good private hospitals. Yes the public healthcare need a lot of fixing but Health tourism could be a part of the solution. It would keep some of our professionals who go overseas and would call for more training of healthcare professionals and caregivers. It would mean we have some of the best technology on the island, just to name a few.
        If Jamaica has such good private hospitals why do the gentry and their families invariably go overseas for the what can be considetrde routine and basic stuff?

Comment

believe it or not it may cost less to go abroad or it based on specialty. I am not sure but some of these hospital exist. Sometimes stars may disappear to do plastic surgery etc.
          Last edited by Assasin; November 26, 2019, 10:23 PM.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...s-in-Rose-Hall

Montego Hope Medical Centre (This is at Halfmoon)

Two example
            Last edited by Assasin; November 26, 2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

It seems you can't help but be a dummy

When I said that tourism is and can be the main driver of the Jamaican economy, some people rant and rave about STEM. This is because they have such a narrow view of the industry and its potential. The two are intricately tied to each other.
              Tourism is and has been "the main driver of the Jamaican economy" since the 1960s - 60+ years. We've seen where this low level industry drives the economy - into a dead end. Only a dummy would dress up tourism and conflate it with a technology enterprise Since technology reaches EVERY INDUSTRY - is every industry qualified to be regarded as a tech enterprise??? Dummy reasoning in the extreme

However, developing and building out on the existing tourism industry is the faster and the most logical way towards achieving the goal of a more modern and sustainable economy. Getting the poor youths of the ghettos into jobs now, albeit low-skilled, has more far-reaching long-term benefits than trying to change Jamaica's economy into a STEM-driven one.
              We've seen for 60+ years that a dependence on tourism to lead the economy to prosperity is a rank FAILURE. We see now that tourism is booming according to Mr Ed...and the economy remains flat. Expecting the impact of tourism to change for the better by doing more of the same - is a sign of illogical thinking i.e. dummy-talk.

Of course Jamaican youth should get jobs. It's not a question of jobs now or no jobs because there's a focus on tech. That's a false representation of my argument.

If you do this knowingly it seems you're a liar. If you misunderstand my argument (esp since it's been stated many times) and present this crap in response...you're a dummy. Pick yuh poison

Dominica Republic, Brazil, Mexico and other Latin countries are already benefiting from Health Tourism. If the government spend some money towards developing this sector, it will inevitably improve Jamaica's health system and go a long way towards retaining medical personnel.
              The mission of health tourism is NOT to improve health outcomes for Jamaicans...unless they fall in the cohort that can afford relatively expensive health care. The mission is to make money from foreigners. Any benefit to Jamaicans who're not well off will be incidental and of little to no overall impact. The same outcome as in the all-inclusive warehouse type tourism practiced in JA

If GOJ wants to improve health care for Jamaicans it should invest in health services targeted at Jamaicans..period.
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
                Kudos to Holness for the lip service,its a start,now the hard part,getting 1 off the ground ,up and running.
                Yes it is something. But I see zero long term, well thought out strategy here. Maybe they have one...but it's not apparent. Seems that people are just now waking up and realizing that we're in the 21st century...not the 1980s. Then doing lots of yapping about STEM, sci-tech etc and pushing half-baked ideas.

Wake me up when they start implementing a long term industrial policy which includes a future labour force upgraded in tech capability - Starting the process from primary school though tertiary level.. There's no other way that works for systemic change.

JA needs to choose 2-3 future-proofed tech applications to focus training on over a 20 year horizon. Specialization drives expertise. Expertise in key tech apps (1) Drives investment (2) Enables the expert to create his own business, develop modern products & services and create opportunities for progress

Announcing the building of a few "STEM Centers" really doesn't move the needle. At this rate it seems to be window dressing to me which gets some with superficial knowledge excited. Hopefully I'm wrong but I doubt it.
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Lip service,another 20 years before the government does anything,by then your little initiative is leading the way.

Kissteeeth .
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                  X