• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornwall under probe

Cornwall under probe
    published: Wednesday | October 24, 2007

Adrian Frater, News Editor

WESTERN BUREAU:
    THIS AFTERNOON'S start of the 2007 Ben Francis Cup knockout competition could be overshadowed by a controversy involving Cornwall College, who topped Zone A of the ISSA/Pepsi/Digicel daCosta Cup and were slated to play against Cedric Titus today.
    "Allegations claiming that Cornwall College have used a new player, who breached the eligibility clause by not sitting out one year, has come to our attention and while we have not received a formal protest from any principal, which is the requirement, we have decided to investigate the matter," said ISSA's president, Dr. Walton Small.

"While we are not seeking to pre-empt anything, we will be reviewing the file of the player in question and we have requested and will be examining all of Cornwall College's match cards," said Small. "We have taken a decision to put the Ben Francis KO game between Cornwall College and Cedric Titus, which was slated for tomorrow (today), on hold," he said.
    While ISSA awaits the anticipated protests from schools that could benefit should Cornwall College be found in breach of any regulations, Dr. Small said that from an integrity perspective, ISSA feels obligated to conduct its own investigations.

Misunderstanding
    When contacted for a comment on the issue, Cornwall College's coach Dr. Dean Weatherley described the situation as one big misunderstanding involving William Wilkinson, a student who transferred from a Montego Bay private high school to Cornwall College at the start of the current academic year.

"He came to us from a non-ISSA school (private school) so we never realised that the rules would have affected him," said Weatherley. "In any event, he just played 20 minutes in one game and even if we lose the points from that game, we would win the zone nonetheless."

In looking at the ISSA clause that would prevent Wilkinson from representing Cornwall College this season, Weatherley said that he has now learnt that had the player been 16 years old and not 17, the ruling would not have affected his participation.
    "Were we clear on the regulation in regards to non-ISSA schools. We would not have used him because we have always indulged in fair play here at Cornwall College," said Weatherley. "If we are asked to forfeit the points for the game he played in, we would have no difficulty complying with such as ruling."

With the ISSA probe already under way, Small said the investigations could be completed within a day or so as to facilitate the smooth running of the Ben Francis Cup, which is being contested by zone winners from the preliminary round of the daCosta Cup.

TODAY'S GAMES
    Ben Francis KO

Dinthill vs Brimmervale at Dinthill

Garvey Maceo vs Spaldings at Manchester High

Munro College vs Manchester at STETHS
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    "In any event, he just played 20 minutes in one game and even if we lose the points from that game, we would win the zone nonetheless."
    So, if that's the case, then what's the problem? Let's move on!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dean and his managers should not be making this kind of mistakes, period but others are trying to take this and run with it, I hear a mutual friend in the media talking about Cornwall being banned.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Well, the rules must be adhered to. If it means they lose the points from the match, then that's what it should be. Emotions shouldn't move the punishment up to the ban level.

After the season, if they want to revise the rules, then...

Yes, Dean should not be making these sorts of "mistakes". I am sure people have transferred from private schools before.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

not to Cornwall, we hardly ever take in players except for Sixth Form. I can count on one hand the number of boys we have taken in since I was there till now.

BTW I understand there is a boy from STETHS who is in Sixth Form at Munro now and playing DCup.

Heard about it, many STETHS people are grinning cause they know this boy was no brain box, so to speak but seems Munro has drastically lowered their standards.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko, I don't deal wid hearsay. I will find out exactly what his credentials are and let you know. But let me remind you of this, standards are relative!

And I hope we are not doing this to put down STETHS. In my time, we did take a student from STETHS to our 6th form. He turned out to be a wikkid baller and a wikkider brain box!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What are the findings and rulings?!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
              X