I think one of the most confusing issue in JA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think one of the most confusing issue in JA

right now is: the difference between a manager and a leader. Some people in JA were jumping over hoops and singing praise (to Bruce)that Nanny P couldn't answer Bruce's question. In the US society Bruce would be viewed as a dodger and masking his own defficiencies. It would be seen as a mere distraction. If he was questioning the execution or performance of policices then it would have been a different story. Which political leader can rattle off detail information on every field in his or her leadership. Reader on :<P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 125%"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 125%; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">Certainly leadership can be <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">taught</SPAN>, says Thomas Cronin. And he should know: He taught the subject for many years as a professor of political science at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Colorado</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">College</st1:PlaceType></st1lace>.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></SPAN><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 125%"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 125%; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">"You're not born to be a leader any more than you're born to be an architect or a doctor," says Cronin. <o></o></SPAN><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 125%"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 125%; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">Most of our political leaders, for example,have received extensive leadership training, even though we may not think of it as such. "In fact, training for political leadership is very much like training to be a doctor. You might go to law school first to get the informational base, then do an internship by assisting a congressperson or some such; then you might run for a small office, which is like a residency--and in the process of all this, you learn things like accountability, like compromise, like how to build coalitions--a whole range of skills."<o></o></SPAN><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 125%"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 125%; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">"Of course genetics plays a part, too. Most people are not cut out for leadership, because they abhor conflict. They run from conflict, but leaders have to confront conflict, move to it, engage with it, handle it, use it."<o></o></SPAN><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 125%"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 125%; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">What you're born with will not make you a leader, Cronin says, unless it's developed. That's what schools can do.<o></o></SPAN><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 125%"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 125%; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">"<st1lace w:st="on">West Point</st1lace> is a leadership training institute. They say, Give us four years and we'll give you a general. It doesn't happen overnight, but it happens. When you get an MBA, you're going to a finishing school for leadership." <o></o></SPAN><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 125%"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 125%; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">True. But students who go to <st1lace w:st="on">West Point</st1lace> see a general inside themselves already. Those who go into high-end MBA programs already have the traits of a leader--drive, ambition, a willingness to sacrifice for goals. Schooling doesn't turn them into leaders. It gives them tools to be <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">better</SPAN> leaders.<o></o></SPAN><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 125%">[b]<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #666666; LINE-HEIGHT: 125%; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma">All the skills converge</SPAN></ST

RE: I think one of the most confusing issue in JA

No Jawge ... the most confusing issue is that too many Jamaicans believe that a political party is more important that their well being.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

why doe you and the JLP supportes feel this way?

Come on man put thenation before the party. cho

Comment

Mi know when you and Karl talk bout putting the nation first ... unuh really talking the PNP. Unuh simply in too deep ... cyaan help unuhself.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

What is confusing to me is the series of Wage issues with critical aspects of the Civil Service.

Is this supposed to be the norm now in PNP Country? When do the expect to successfully beg for more money to continue the Civil Servant Welfare program ?

Quite bizzare.

Can you or Karl have Colin Campbell or Dennis Morrison send me some spin so I can pretend all is well and this is the best the country can do.. there is no alternative.

Comment

Working...
          X