China wants Jamaica to decide on rail deal before year-end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China wants Jamaica to decide on rail deal before year-end

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>China wants Jamaica to decide on rail deal before year-end</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline>Chinese Ambassador says trains would start rolling in less than 20 months</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>LUKE DOUGLAS, Observer writer
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=165 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Zhenyu. if Cabinet's decision is favourable, the project can start early next year</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>THE Chinese government would have Jamaicans rushing in and out of train stations on the tiny island in less than two years, if only it could get the Jamaican government to sign off on a deal to get the trains rolling there again.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Work on the long-waited rehabilitation of the railroad would commence early next year if the Jamaican Cabinet votes in favour of the project, Chinese Ambassador Zhao Zhenyu told the Observer.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"A Chinese technical team has indicated that the project can be finished within 20 months from the day of commencement", he explained.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Ambassador Zhenyu, whose term of duty in Jamaica ends in a few days, said the project would be completed in two phases; the first section from Kingston to Spanish Town would take 12 months, while the rest of the railroad to Montego Bay would take another eight months. "The first section can be put into operation while the second section is being built", the ambassador said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said the Cabinet had already begun to review the project, but had two main concerns: the ability of the government to repay a proposed loan from the Chinese government to help finance the project, and whether Jamaica had the expertise to maintain the railway.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=351 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>An Observer file photo of a Jamaica Railway Corporation Track.</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Ambassador Zhenyu told the Observer that he hoped the Cabinet would make a decision on the project before the year ends.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"If the decision of Cabinet is favourable, the project can start early next year", he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Commenting on possible objection to the project by the operators of Highway 2000 - the toll road that stretches between Kingston and Clarendon - the ambassador said there was enough traffic in Jamaica for both to be viable.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"People should be given the choice of the highway and railway. Some people don't like to drive long distances and some people don't have cars. For ordinary Jamaicans, it would be cheaper to travel by railroad, and it would be good for tourism, as tourists could travel by rail between your political capital city and your tourism capital city", said Zhenyu.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In addition, he suggested that containers from the ports of Kingston and Montego Bay as well as agricultural produce, could be transported by railroad in order to keep down costs.
    The response to the project from most Jamaicans has been favourable, the ambassador said.

"I think many Jamaicans are crazy about this project", he quipped.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The ambassador also noted that not many countries around the world were still building railways, but that China was an exception
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

RE: China wants Jamaica to decide on rail deal before year-end

Maybe the Chinese could construct a decent bridge over at the Yallahs fording.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

I applaud this move and hope that we will sign a the agreement. As for the Yallahs Fording, that is one of the many Lip-Service this government has given Jamaicans - and especially the people of Eastern St Thomas - over the years. It is a shame that while we import trailer loads of cars into the island and incur debt in the billions to erect highways, the simple things are being ignored. And yet we put people first. Excuse me if I sound too much like Maudib.

Hope the train service can be a done deal.
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Maybe Sista P can ask Uncle Hugo for a $300 million loan.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

<DIV>Don't mind if yuh sound a likkle like Maudib. Di govt. a keep up major sheggries fi true. Look at Portia's speech at the conference the other day - JOKE! A worker on my job site was killed this morning on his way to work. What is Portia doing about the crime out there? What kind of a difference is she going to make? Normally, people seek their own mandate when they want to make drastic change from what has been happening. Portia won't. She doesn't need her own mandate.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>And before I hear it from Lazie and Maudib, nuh worry - not voting fi unnu peoples eedah!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>They should have a write-in section. I would vote for Castro right now, even if he is on his death bed!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I do not think the loan is the problem. The Chinese are giving them the loan, but I am sure it will be their labor to be used to complete the project.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
            X