Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JC capture Olivier Shield

JC capture Olivier Shield
    ... whip Garvey 2-0 to lift all-island schoolboy prizeBY KAYON RAYNOR senior staff reporter
    raynork@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, December 23, 2007

MOTIVATED or not, Manning Cup title-holders Jamaica College (JC) crowned themselves all-island champions after scoring a 2-0 win over daCosta Cup winners Garvey Maceo in the Olivier Shield final, the symbol of local schoolboy football supremacy, at the National Stadium yesterday.

Prior to yesterday's clash between the nation's top two schoolboy teams, JC's coach Alfred Henry told the Sunday Observer his troops had lost interest in the match, which had been delayed, adding that he was frustrated.

ANOTHER NOTCH FOR JC: Pepsi's marketing director John Burrowes (third right) presents the coveted Olivier Shield to Jamaica College captain and goalkeeper Olivier Walker at the National Stadium yesterday. JC defeated Garvey Maceo High 2-0 in the all-island schoolboy final. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    "It has been three weeks now since we played in the Manning Cup final," he said then.

Yesterday Henry's charges were quicker into stride and made most of the early running, creating no fewer than three clear chances in the first 12 minutes in front of a sparcely-populated Stadium.

However, it seemed as if the team which netted some 60 goals enroute to their first Manning Cup title since 1974 was indeed match-rusty.

JC got a wake-up call in the 30th minute when Garvey Maceo captain Ashton Bennett beat two defenders in the 18-yard box before unleashing a powerful left-footed shot which rebonded off the right upright.

Anthony Grant made amends for a missed opportunity in the eighth minute by converting an equally easy chance 14 minutes into the second half.

The overlapping Andrian Christian dribbled by two defenders down the right flank before moving into the box to pick out an unmarked Grant, who tapped home from eight yards to give JC the lead in the 59th minute.

Defender Robert Palmer sealed the issue in the 88th minute when he rose high at the near post to head home Oshane Brown's perfect free-kick from 22 yards, to the right of the penalty box.

Robert Palmer, along with Ramone Palmer, Akeem Bennett and Grant joined a select band of players to have won the Manning Cup and Olivier Shield double with two schools.

The quartet were also members of Calabar's victorious team in 2005 under the guidance of the late coach David Hunt.

Yesterday's win gave JC their 16th lien on the Olivier Shield - the most by any other school - and ended their 33-year drought.

Garvey Maceo, who were making their debut appearance, failed to become the fourth Clarendon school to claim the trophy behind Vere Technical, Clarendon College and Glenmuir.

Meanwhile, Coach Henry told the Sunday Observer he was satisfied to complete the job he set out to do three seasons ago.
    "When you get a job to do, you just have to do it to the best of your ability and that's what I did," Henry said.

"All I wanted to do was to win and go home to my daughter (in New Jersey), and that's it." he said, adding that he had a great group of players to work with this season.

"I couldn't ask for a better set of players; they were disciplined from the beginning and I couldn't ask for more," he declared.

Counterpart Jeffery Hewitt conceded his players were outplayed.
    "At half-time I asked the players what was the problem and they said, 'coach we just really tired', so it was expected, but I must say congratulations to the JC team because they came out and played as if they wanted it...," Hewitt said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Players in dacosta competition played too much games.

Comment

or the new schools, like Frome, Godfrey Stewart and now Marcus Garvey are not sufficiently aware of what the Olivier Shield means and so make very little effort to win it after they win the daCosta Cup.

Same thing when Bridgeport won the Manning Cup, they did not take the Olivier Shield serioulsy as they think of it as the 'end of season Cup', this would not happen at a school like Munro, Cornwall, Wolmers, JC etc as their old boys would ensure the boys were very well aware of what it means to win the Olivier Shield.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
        or the new schools, like Frome, Godfrey Stewart and now Marcus Garvey are not sufficiently aware of what the Olivier Shield means and so make very little effort to win it after they win the daCosta Cup.

Same thing when Bridgeport won the Manning Cup, they did not take the Olivier Shield serioulsy as they think of it as the 'end of season Cup', this would not happen at a school like Munro, Cornwall, Wolmers, JC etc as their old boys would ensure the boys were very well aware of what it means to win the Olivier Shield.
        You are onto something there Sickko. I can remember the last time JC won Manning Cup and Oliver Shield in 1974, their opponents in the Shield was none other than STETHS. After STETHS won the DaCosta Cup, our team basically dismantled and stoped training. Students went home for Christmas break and were not even aware that we still had two matches in the waiting. JC came to Santa Cruz to an almost empty stands and their fans may have even outnumbered the amount of support in Santa Cruz.

JC came through and took the Oliver Shield like taking candy from a baby.

At that point in time, it was STETHS' best performance in the D Cup, with the school coming into existence only in 1965, a mere 9 years. They had no history and knew not what happened after DaCosta victory. You would think though that today students and schools would be more informed and know what to espect aftet the DaCosta season is completed.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I think we need to make the focus of our schoolboy competition the Olivier Shield, meaning, like the NFL where teams compete for Western Conference and Eastern Conference titles and then for the Super Bowl, we need to have that focus.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I remember reading something a fe years ago that the oliver shield has lost its appeal....Who know perhaps the town versus country rivalry was a good thing when it existed....now everyman is a town man.
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

eermm, Mosiah, NFL teams dont compete in Eastern and Western Conferences, that is the NBA...but we know what you mean...ha ha ha
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

The Olivier Shield cant lose its appeal, that is like saying the World Cup finals has no appeal, it is incumbent on the schools and coaches to understand and teach it to the boys.

Every time Cornwall wins the DCup, we look forward to the Olivier Shield, I recall when we met Camperdown and St George's College in the early 1980s, both legs were well attended mainly because it was two traditional schools.

However when we played Bridgeport, Cornwall's crowd was more than five times their's even at Harbour View where the return leg was played.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Don't think for a minute that I am embarrassed. American sports? - PLEASE!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                    Every time Cornwall wins the DCup, we look forward to the Olivier Shield, I recall when we met Camperdown and St George's College in the early 1980s, both legs were well attended mainly because it was two traditional schools.
                    Sickko, a big part of this is that Cornwall has history behind it. You not only have a history of winning the DaCosta but you have a history oof competing for the Oliver Shield. Some of these younger schools, they only know about the DaCosta Cup and nothing else.

I am sure that some of these younger schools, after they have won DaCosta and lost in the Oliver Shield, they will think about the Oliver Shield the next time. Most times the students were not prepared because the technical staff felt their work was done after winning the DCup.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

JC needs to thank RABALAC for their Manning Cup and Olivier

shield.

From the 2nd round of Manning cup all JC's goals except one were scored by last years CALABAR boys. One of the Manning cup finals goal was scored by an original JC player in addition to one of the goals in the semi final.

"Robert Palmer, along with Ramone Palmer, Akeem Bennett and Grant joined a select band of players to have won the Manning Cup and Olivier Shield double with two schools.

The quartet were also members of Calabar's victorious team in 2005 under the guidance of the late coach David Hunt."
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Mexxx View Post
                        shield.

From the 2nd round of Manning cup all JC's goals except one were scored by last years CALABAR boys. One of the Manning cup finals goal was scored by an original JC player in addition to one of the goals in the semi final.

"Robert Palmer, along with Ramone Palmer, Akeem Bennett and Grant joined a select band of players to have won the Manning Cup and Olivier Shield double with two schools.

The quartet were also members of Calabar's victorious team in 2005 under the guidance of the late coach David Hunt."
                        JC needs to thank the JC community and no one else for our victory. We are not new to this station in life.

Those boys were not kidnapped and brought to Hope Road. They went willingly and found a supportive, mature and winning environment to express themselves.

That's the way of the world.
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                        X