Miss Lou - National Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Lou - National Hero

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Should Miss Lou be named a national hero?</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline>J'cans give different views as they view body of cultural icon</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>VAUGHN DAVIS, Observer staff reporter
    Wednesday, August 09, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=365 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Members of the public file past the body of Miss Lou at the National Arena in Kingston, yesterday. (Photo: Joseph Wellington)</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>JAMAICANS, amidst the outpourings and tributes over the body of beloved Jamaican cultural icon Louise Bennett-Coverly (Miss Lou) on the second day of the public viewing of her body yesterday, passionately debated whether or not she should be named a national hero?<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I don't see she do anything to be a national hero. . I don't think she reach there yet," said Jaffeth McEachron. Miss Lou, said McEachron, did a lot for the Jamaican language, but added that to be a national hero deserved more than that. "I look forward to seeing a nice statue of her., McEachron said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>However, McEachron did not get much support for his statement.
    "Yes, I think she has reached that stage," said Fay Wint-Smith, who was dressed in a purple blouse, black skirt and sunglasses.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"You don't have to fight physically to be a national hero. She fought with the pen and that means a lot more. I think she deserves it as much as the other heroes," Wint-Smith told the Observer.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Everale Whitter expressed similar sentiments about Miss Lou.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"There are different kinds of fight, and though Sharpe and Bogle did fight for justice, she (Miss Lou) fight to put us on the map, she fight to put patois, our broken language on the map. I think it would be good so that the younger generation can more remember her," Whitter said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Another man, Dr Dennis Edwards, was also in agreement that Miss Lou be made a national hero.<P class=StoryText align=justify>".Really, we just can't find enough words to adequately represent the contribution that Miss Lou has made towards the development of this country. With respect to the elevation of the average Jamaican above and beyond the elitist attitude of some sections of society. If there is one more Jamaican who deserves to be a national hero it is Miss Lou," Dr Edwards said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the meantime, dozens of persons yesterday again viewed the body of Miss Lou, who will be buried today.
    "She look good though. When me go most funerals the body normally look black and ugly," one woman was overheard saying, as the sounds of vintage Jamaican music filled the arena.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Clap her man, she look good. Miss Lou look good," said another woman.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Another woman, who declined to give her name, told the Observer that despite the long line of persons waiting to see the body and sign the condolence book, she had expected to see persons breaking down in tears over Miss Lou.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Me can't believe that nobody not bawling. Normally at funerals you would have people bawling and screaming but nobody not doing anything. Anyway me saving my bawling for the funeral," she said.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RE: Miss Lou - National Hero

I have every amount of respect for Miss Lou and her contributions to helping form our culture as a young nation. She should be remembered as a great Jamaican, but as a national hero, I do not think so. We have to be careful how we dish out the national heroes title as it will soon become meaningless.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla,

I don't think we have "dished out" awards frivolously at all. I believe we only have seven among which are Nanny, Sam Sharpe, Paul Bogle, George William Gordonand Marcus Garvey whomare all posthumous awardees and long after their contribution to the formation of Jamaica as a nation. You would have to consider Norman Manley and Busta as being "modern" recipients of the award.

Miss Lou would overlap the pre-independence/post-independence era and to me her contribution cultuarally to the new nation, giving it belief in itself by liftingpatois, the language of the people in a post-independence periodfrom a form of expression that was frowned on to one of acceptance and even required given circumstances should be seen as a a genuinely heroic contribution to the nation of Jamaica.

I wouldgive her my vote.

Peter
      Peter R

Comment

I could live with her being made a National Hero. I just would not think that we should give her that honor at least not now anyway.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Many more could be considered for that honor before she gets it. Two that readily comes to mind is Bob Marley and Merlene Ottey.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Jangle (8/13/2006)Many more could be considered for that honor before she gets it. Two that readily comes to mind is Bob Marley and Merlene Ottey.
            And that is a part of the problem for me. I see national heroes as people who have fought for change and for the betterment of their people. Marcus, Sam Sharp, George W. G., Nanny, Paul Bogle, Norman Manley and Busta all fit that mold to me. As much as I love Bob and found his music most uplifting at various times in my life, I am not sure that his music alone does it for me. Bob was an entertainer, plain and simple. His music addressed the many social, economic and political ills which affect our people the world over. I cannot really say apart from his music that fought for the betterment of his people other than with lyrics.

Merlene Ottey has had a long and illusterous career as an athlete and has flown the national colors high wherever she went. What is her contribution to our nationhood which can be considered above and beyond that of other citizens that have helped to give some direction to our nation? Marlene should be remembered as a great Jamaican, but not a national hero.

The title of national hero should only be bestowed on that few who have put their lives on the line for the betterment of our people. In another 30 yars from now our grand children may be asking why did these people make it to national heroes status. We could by then have many athletes, entertainers and poets who have surpasses the accomplishments of these folks.

Comment

Tilla I think you are confusing the definition of the word "hero".

Here is one definition: "a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities".

Norman Manley, Bustamante and Marcus Garvey did not give up their life for Jamaica. They didn't fight any physical battles/wars for Jamaica. Please don't think that I am discounting what they did for Jamaica either. I am just saying that Bob and Merlene are just 2 of the few Jamaicans whose achievements have helped to elevate the international image of Jamaica and her people. As such their stature should be elevated in Jamaica. I think their faces could be on our money. We need a museum where citizens and visitors can go to learn about their achievements and the effect they had on our nation.

Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Remember now I did not think I necessaily said "give their lives" in my previous post. I said put their lives on the line for the betterment of their fellowmen. If you are too young to remember the works of Marcus Garvey, let me know and I will direct you to some good readings on Garvey. The same can be said of Busta when he bared his chest and proclaimed to the authorities "Kill me, but do not kill l my people".

By your simplistic definition of the word hero, we will soon have a whole country full of National Heroes. We are not talking justhero here, we are talking another realm - National Hero. If we go by the dictionary's definition, then Veronica Campbell, Asafa Powell, Don Quarry, Theodore Whitmore etc, etc, should all be in line for the title of National Hero a well.

I hope the powers that be allow good sense to prevail and do not just hand out this title "willi-nilly" to just anyone who come into national prominence.

Comment

Working...
                X