I'll be following this years Dacosta Cup season with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be following this years Dacosta Cup season with

keen interest. I have been very disapointed over the years with the performance of the Morant Bay High School team, but I have been reliably informed that they are coming all out to win the whole thing this year.

Jerry Hue was a star during his playing days on the MBHS dacosta and Under-16 teams.
    President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

RE: I'll be following this years Dacosta Cup season with

R U a Morant Bay alum?
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

yup, graduated in 1992. started 1987. CARPE DIEM!
      President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Yep ......and his number one advocate Mosiah also claimed to be a U16 standout in his time. He is still living on that fame.
        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Dream on. I would be very surprised to see them progress beyond the group stagfes.

Comment

We only bussed Cornwall's ass in their backyard, so it really was no big deal.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I guess you will be very dissappointed to see that Morant Bay is one of seven schools that will not take part this year, they have withdrawn.
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Two newcomers as schoolboy season launched</SPAN>
                <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>KAYON RAYNOR, Observer staff reporter
                Saturday, September 02, 2006
                </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=365 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Captain Lincoln Thaxter (right) principal of defending Manning Cup champions Calabar High School examines his school's gear in the presence of (from left) Leesa Kow, marketing executive at Jamaica National Building Society, ISSA president Clement Radcliffe and Andrew Reid, general manager of Pepsi Cola Jamaica Limited, at the official launch of the 2006 ISSA/Pepsi/JN Schoolboy Football Competitions at the Terra Nova Hotel yesterday. (Photo: Karl McLarty)</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Oberlin High and Paul Bogle High are the two newcomers in this year's Inter-secondary School Sports Association's (ISSA)/ Pepsi/JN Manning Cup and daCosta Cup football competitions, respectively.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Sixty-seven teams will contest the rural area daCosta Cup in 12 groups 'A to L', while 36 teams will participate in the urban area Manning Cup in six groups 'A to F'. There were late withdrawals from six schools in the Manning Cup - Ascot, Haile Selassie, Trench Town, Vauxhall, Clan Carthy and Priory.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The competition, which is due to kick-off next Saturday, September 9 with a double-header at Jarrett Park, was officially launched yesterday at the Terra Nova Hotel in Kingston.<P class=StoryText align=justify>President of ISSA, Clement Radcliffe, disclosed that the winning teams of both the Manning and daCosta Cups will receive J$175,000 with even more money up for grabs in the Olivier Shield final. "To add substance to our position, the Olivier Shield champion, which is the pinnacle of schoolboy football - will receive $180,000, and please note, this is greater than the winners of the individual competitions," said Radcliffe.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The winning school of both the Manning and daCosta Cup titles will also collect one Internet-ready computer.<P class=StoryText align=justify>As usual, the total amount of money being spent by the two titles sponsors - Pepsi and Jamaica National - were not made public.<P class=StoryText align=justify>However, Radcliffe noted that in addition to the prize money being paid out, a chunk of the sponsorship will go towards referee payments, gear provision, match balls and travel, among other things.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"The significant support provided by Pepsi and Jamaica National and the other sponsors of individual schools will ensure that the competition is effectively managed.
                "Effective this year, each school will receive a nice compact bag with 20 jerseys and shorts, plus two goalkeeper jerseys, as well as five practice balls and one match ball for each home match; we also will pay all referees' fees throughout the competition; the provision of adequate supply of Gatorade to the players; travel subsidy to the rural schools," said Radcliffe.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The administrator, who has been at ISSA's helm for a number of years, reiterated that his team will be going the extra mile to ensure that all member schools adhere to their rules and regulations. "Our mission really is the rounded development of the student under our care."<P class=StoryText align=justify>General manager of Pepsi Andrew Reid supported ISSA's drive to mould the boys into well-rounded individuals.
                "Pepsi's involvement in schoolboy football is of course partly to do with enlightening self-interest, but we do believe that as a significant corporate citizen in this b
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Locker Room Sports wins uniform bid</SPAN>
                  <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Kayon Raynor
                  Saturday, September 02, 2006
                  </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                  <P class=StoryText align=justify>LOCKER Room Sports has replaced Sports Plus as the official gear providers for the 103 teams competing in this year's staging of the Inter-secondary School Sports Association (ISSA)/Pepsi/JN Manning and daCosta Cup Football competitions, which kick off next Saturday in Montego Bay with a double header.<P class=StoryText align=justify>This was announced by organisers of the competition at yesterday's launch of the competition, which took place at the Terra Nova Hotel in Kingston.<P class=StoryText align=justify>ISSA president Clement Radcliffe told the gathering that Locker Room Sports beat seven other bidders for the right to supply the gear after it was put to tender.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Marketing director of Locker Room Sports David Shirley told Sporting World he was honoured to win the right to supply the gear for the 36 Manning and 67 daCosta Cup teams taking part in the premier schoolboy football competition.
                  "It is a special moment for us because in our eight years of existence, we have not had the opportunity to provide gear for the Manning and daCosta Cup teams, which as everyone knows is the most popular competition that serves as a benchmark for football in Jamaica," said Shirley.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He continued: "We pride ourselves on providing quality uniforms, the Kelme Brand is a popular Spanish brand for which we are the exclusive distributors and we have other partners that we work with. Quality, service and relationships is how we have built our business and we look forward to working with the coaches and the teams and we wish them a successful season."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Shirley admitted that coordinating the job for 2,266 gear required a lot of work.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"But we sat down and worked out the logistics and we were able to deliver on time... I believe that this is the first time in a few years that everybody will have their gear before the start of the competition."<P class=StoryText align=justify>The sports wear provider also disclosed plans to supply replica jerseys which the various schools can sell to their hundreds of supporters. "We are actually speaking to ISSA at the moment about that because a lot of the schools use the same jerseys across the different teams and it's something that we want to propose - Manning Cup, Pepsi, Colts - in a replica situation, where past students can buy that shirt and wear it proudly, while supporting their teams," said Shirley.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                  X