Mutiny at the bridge ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutiny at the bridge ????

<DIV class=pagedate>Updated: Aug. 7, 2006 </DIV><H1>Mutiny at the Bridge?</H1><DIV class=bylinebox style="MARGIN-TOP: 8px"><DIV class=bylinetext>Norman Hubbard
    Archive </DIV><DIV style="FLOAT: left"></DIV></DIV><BR clear=all><DIV class=text11 style="BACKGROUND: #fff"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

It is not quite Mutiny on the Bounty, but a restlessness that borders on the rebellious is simmering amongst some of Chelsea's wealthy playing staff. <DIV class=phinline>
    <DIV style="WIDTH: 205px"><DIV class=photocred2>IanWalton/GettyImages</DIV><DIV class=photosubtext>Mourinho: Plenty on his plate.</DIV></DIV></DIV>

It was spearheaded by William Gallas, the refusenik who opted out of the pre-season tour of the USA, though there were conflicting reasons for his absence. But the mild-mannered, who have often acquiesced quietly, have also displayed their own brand of dissent against the regime at Stamford Bridge. Jose Mourinho, the charismatic autocrat of SW6, had previously gone unchallenged. Since his arrival in England two years ago and his anointment, albeit by himself, as the Special One, Mourinho has made the rules. Those at the height of their powers, established internationals and millionaires many times over, have accepted his superiority. Players like Joe Cole who, even when basking in praise from others, has been demeaned by Mourinho, substituted humiliatingly early and criticised in public, have never questioned his decisions. And, for the most part, Mourinho has been vindicated. Titles have been won; most critics have been won over. Chelsea, a club with one previous championship in its history, have become the dominant force in English football, and that cannot be attributed solely to Abramovich's limitless wealth. Along the way, Mourinho set the template for success. The model of two players for every position negated the arguments over the ideal composition of any squad, made Mourinho the envy of all of his contemporaries and became shorthand for Chelsea's strength in depth. Yet it was undermined by the excellence and personnel at Mourinho's disposal. Two left-backs, for example, were rendered redundant by Gallas, a supposed centre-back, but preferred to either. In Claude Makelele's few absences, Michael Essien covered for him; was a permanent deputy really required? And the adaptability of Cole and Arjen Robben restricted the opportunities for Shaun Wright-Phillips further. So time for a change of plan. A streamlined squad, featuring a sprinkling of versatile players, appeared Mourinho's new recipe for happiness for the forthcoming season. With fewer players, those remaining would be granted more opportunities; such cover as was required could be provided by youngsters, a welcome acknowledgement of a future beyond Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko, the ageing galacticos who will be nudging 34 when their lucrative deals expire. Except that, for the marginalised, the goalposts had still not been moved far enough. Five familiar faces will be missing from the substitutes' bench when the Portuguese turns around this season; three more could yet follow them. And so may Gallas, whose excellence is such that he must rank among the first names on the team sheet, even if his position is subject to debate. Although he has left a trail of bruised egos, few quarrels seem to be with Mourinho personally. But, after reasserting the manager in his traditional role of the autocrat - in that respect, he is Sir Alex Ferguson's successor - he has been reminded of the realities of 21st century management; the superstar is not found in the dugout anymore. But the o

RE: Mutiny at the bridge ????

the cockles of your heart should be now fully warmed

dont be fooled my friend - the special one is indeed special

Comment

why my heart supposed to full ?

Comment

Looked rusty in that pre-season match with the MLS All-Stars. ...and, even givng allowance for the match being a pre-season one the Blues looked awful.

I think Balla could be in for some teary-eyed days! That would make me happy!

Go GUNNERS!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

My gut tells me that Chelsea will not win the Premiership this season. I have followed this thing since inception and I think I know what I am talking about. As crazy as Fergie was and is, he held United together without multiple displeased stars for many a year before the empire started to look human.

I feel that, by mid-season folks, will see that many of Chelski's stars are a little beyond their prime, and there will be very loud grumbling among them.

Courtney, dont feel no way. Balla had just a little time at the top and now he feels that it is going to last forever. Just watch him drop off that high perch and start giving excuses, come January.

Please archive this post!
          "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

my memory serves me correct and you, OJ and Rockman never thought we would win it

so keep looking in your crystal glass

Who have we lost from last season that we havent adequately replaced ?

Comment

Working...
            X