• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherone Simpson to replace Veronica Campbell at World Cup

Sherone Simpson to replace Veronica Campbell atWorld Cup

Anthony Foster, Freelance Writer

( L - R ) Veronica Campbell and Sherone Simpson - file photos

Commonwealth Games 200m champion Sherone Simpson looks set to represent the region at next month's IAAF World Cup of Athletics in Athens, Greece.

Simpson's inclusion was virtually confirmed yesterday when it was reported that a quad injury has ruled Athens Olympic 200m champion Veronica Campbell out for the remainder of the 2006 outdoor season.

Simpson, the national sprint double champion, believes running at the World Cup would be a great achievement.

"I am really looking forward to the World Cup as it's going to be my first," said Simpson.

The World Cup, which offers US$30,000 for winners and US$15,000 and US$10,000 for second and third place finishers respectively, will be held over two days, September 14-15 in Athens.

The top nine athletesin each event from Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Oceania, USA, Russia, Poland and Greece will compete for championship honours.

Simpson said she is hopeful of coming away with a victory when she challenges some of the world's best.

"Hopefully I can go there and perform," she said.

Marion Jones, a triple gold medallist from the Sydney Olympic Games, will represent United States and Simpson is again looking forward for another clash.

Simpson, the world leader in both the 100m (10.82) and 200m (22.00), said she is not scared of Jones, who she boasts a 2-1 winning record against this season.

"Running against Marion I feel proud," the national sprint double champion told STAR Sports yesterday.

"I am not scared of her," she added while saying "to win at the World Cup will be very good".

Campbell's injury has also given clearance to Cayman Islands' Cydonie Mothersill in the 200m.

Campbell, who finished second behind Simpson at the Commonwealth Games, leads the world 100 metres event with 1368 points but trails American world champion Allyson Felix, 1366 to 1320, in the 200 metres.

Campbell out for the season

Claude Bryan, Campbell's manager, confirmed Campbell will miss the remainder of the season, after failing to recover from her quad injury.

The decision was taken after medical consultation and was mutually agreed given the importance of the next two years with the 2007 World Championships and the 2008 Olympics, Bryan said.

"We just decided in the interest of the athlete's career to call it a day (for the rest of the season)," Bryan said.

Meanwhile, joint 100m record holder Asafa Powell and world triple jump champion Trecia Smith are also in line for spots on the Americas' team.

Usain Bolt (200m), Maurice Wignall (110m hurdles), Brigitte Foster-Hylton (100m hurdles), Kemel Thompson (400m hurdles), Korene Hinds (3000m steeplechase), and Dorian Scott (shot put) are other Jamaicans in line for a spot at the World Cup.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Sherone Simpson to replace Veronica Campbell at World Cup

Bolt! Bolt! Bolt! Bolt must just run!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X