• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&F - Carrie Russell: JA's eastern star

Carrie Russell: JA's eastern star
    Tifanie Gordon
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Rising from the mountains of Cedar Valley, St Thomas is a young athlete that sees no red light, there's just no stopping her. She has been on the track for quite some time and it just seemed inevitable because both her parents and older brother were great athletes in high school. However, she is taking that to another level. Carrie Russell has made many upsets throughout her unexpectedly successful career despite her injury (that sidelined her for all of 2007). And this year seems even better for her. She was only 15 when she was dubbed the fastest schoolgirl in Jamaica and at 17 she still is. TEENage had the opportunity to interview Carrie and this is what she had to say:

TEENage: How does it feel to be the fastest schoolgirl in Jamaica?
    Carrie Russell (CR): (Big laugh) It feels great because my hard work and dedication has really paid off.

TEENage: Subsequently, you represented Jamaica in the World Junior Championship in Beijing China, how was your experience?
    CR: It was a great experience to be there and I learnt a lot. It felt great to know that I was the youngest to receive a medal (bronze) and I hope to return this year.
    Carrie Russell accepts that Prime Minister's Youth Award for Excellence in Sports from Prime Minister Bruce Golding on December 2, 2007.

TEENage: Upon returning, what was the feedback like?
    CR: I got a great reception, my school was very proud of me. I was honoured by the St Thomas Football Association with a plaque and The Honourable James Robertson provided me with my school texts in that year.

TEENage: You sustained injuries in 2007, what was it like being out of the competition for almost a year?
    CR: Actually, I felt badly because it was my fault. I had a minor injury and I did not inform my coach, so it lead to me having that major injury.

TEENage: How did you recuperate and get back in shape for these current track meets?
    CR: Well, I became overweight because I was out of training for a few months so my coach had to put me on a weight loss programme and a diet. I then continued with my endurance and speed work.

TEENage: It was said that your coach overworked you at Eastern Champs and that lead to your subsequent injuries, how true is that?
    CR: (Opens mouth and pauses). First of all, I was not overworked and secondly, this happened at Eastern Champs of last year. This is not such a competitive meet for me: it's like training. My coach told me that I should use 100 per cent body speed in both the 100m and 200m and 85 per cent in the 400m.

Carrie Russell poses with her 100 metre bronze medal she claimed at the World Junior Championships in Beijing, China.

TEENage: Despite all this, you still won the Prime Minister's Youth Award for Sports, how did that feel?
    CR: (Smiles). The feeling was great, it motivated me to do even better this year and I thank God for that.

TEENage: After winning that award, some people said you didn't deserve it, what do you have to say to them?
    CR: (After a long wait) I understand why that was said, they thought I didn't deserve it. However, I believe that I was honoured for my previous performances and achievements.

TEENage: What is/are your best time/s to date?
    CR: 100m-11.32 (Beijing, China 2006), 200m-23.84 (CAC Port-of-Spain 2006)

TEENage: What were the races you ran at the Eastern Champs?
    CR: 100m (11.86), 200m (25.24) and 4x1 relay (all gold).

TEENage: Who is/are your main competition?
    CR: (Big laugh) Nashay Campbell of Glengough, whom I left several metres behind in the 100m and 200m at Eastern Champs recently.
    TEENage: What are your plans for the Girls' Champs?

CR: Dismiss the class two 100m record (my aim is 11.40) and win the 200m.

TEENage: Do you think you can make the Olympic team?
    CR: I know, I can, because I always put God first and I am working really hard to stay fit and healthy.

TEENage: Okay, The nickname 'Mountain Lion', where did it come from?
    CR: (big laugh). My former coach and second mom, Mrs Kentish.

TEENage: What do you have to say to younger athletes in Jamaica who want to become a star like yourself?
    CR: Believe in yourself, stay focused, work hard and trust in God.

Coach's Comment:
    "Carrie will definitely be in top form this year. Her preparation is on target; the goal set is reasonable and achievable".

Take TEENage's advice and be sure to look out for Carrie Russell at this year's instalment of GraceKennedy ISSA Boys' and Girls' Athletics Championships, March 12-15.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X