Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummings erases 100m Class 3 record

Cummings erases 100m Class 3 record
    . Calabar lead with KC in close contentionKAYON RAYNOR, Observer senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, March 15, 2008

Adam Cummings (left) of Munro approaches the finish ahead of race favourite Jazeel Murphy of Bridgeport in a new Class Three boys 100 metre record of 10.91 seconds at the National Stadium yesterday. After 15 finals in the boys' category of the GraceKennedy/ISSA Athletics Championships, defending champions Calabar led the points standings with 109 points, ahead of Kingston College on 101, followed by Jamaica College 70, St Jago 55 and Wolmer's 46 to round out the top five. In the girls' category, Holmwood are comfortably ahead with 151 points after 19 finals. Vere are next on 87.5, followed by Edwin Allen on 76, St Jago 58.5 and Wolmer's Girls 46.5 round out the top five. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    Adam Cummings of Munro College produced an unbelievable 10.91 seconds (wind +0.2 p/s) to win the Class Three 100 metres in a new record on yesterday's penultimate day of competition of the 2008 GraceKennedy/ISSA Athletics Championships at the National Stadium in Kingston.
    Cummings, who had finished sixth in last year's final, exploded from the blocks and had the race won from the 60-metre mark as he opened up a five-metre lead on pre-race favourite Jazeel Murphy of Bridgeport (10.97secs).
    Young Cummings, the son of Observer Photo Editor Bryan, bettered the old record of 10.99 done by Jamaica College's Winston Barnes in 2003. Andre Robinson of St Jago was third in 11.37secs.
    The script went according to plan in the Class One equivalent as World Junior bronze medallist and national record holder Yohan Blake of St Jago clocked 10.27secs to retain his title. Nickel Ashmead completed the quinella for the Danny Hawthorne-coached St Jago team with a fast finish to post 10.34. World Youth 100 metres gold medallist Dexter Lee of Herbert Morrison took bronze in 10.43secs, while Winston Barnes was fourth with 10.50. Earl Lee, who recently won the Under-17 sprint double at the Carifta trials, produced an impressive late finish to catch and beat Rolando Reid of Munro College in the Class Two equivalent. Lee was timed at 10.82secs, 0.01 ahead of Reid, while Kemar Bailey-Cole of Old Harbour High took bronze with 10.85.
    At press time, Calabar led the standings with 109 points, after the Triple Jump Open. Kingston College was in second position on 101, followed by Jamaica College 70, St Jago 55 and Wolmer's 46 to round out the top five.
    St Jago's Yohan Blake (right) sprints away from the field to retain the boys' Class One 100m in 10.27 seconds ahead of team mate Nickel Ashmead (left) at the National Stadium last night. Third place went to World Youth 100m gold medallist Dexter Lee (second left) of Herbert Morrison, while Winston Barnes (centre) of JC was fourth.
    National Junior 110 metre hurdles record holder (13.49secs) Keiron Stewart of KC pulled one of the major upsets of the meet by beating pre-race favourite Ryker Hylton of St Jago. Running in lane three, Stewart went past Hylton in lane five before the first hurdle and never relinquished that lead to win in 50.29secs.
    "The run was OK (because) I just stuck with the game plan that the coaches (Courtney) Harrison and (Torrianno) Best told me and came through with the victory and I'm happy for it," Stewart told the Observer.
    Andre Peart returned 50.44 to complete the quinella for KC, while Hylton, who was losing the event for the first time all season, had to settle for the bronze with 52.09secs.
    There was also another major upset in the Class One 1500 metres as Carifta Under-17 record holder Kemoy Campbell of Bellefield suffered his first defeat of the track season, going down to Calabar's Andre Thomas. Thomas, the defending champion from 2007 (4mins 03.04), timed his run to perfection and passed Campbell with about 130 metres remaining, out-sprinting Conroy Cross of Edwin Allen to win in 3 minutes 52.55secs. Crossman took silver in 3 minutes 52.69 ahead of Campbell 3 minutes 54.70secs.
    Waquar DaCosta of Jamaica College, the class three 800 metres record holder from 2007, produced 4 minutes 38.61secs to win the Class Two 1500 metres ahead of Kevin White of Holmwood Technical(4:09.89) and Edwin Allen's Rogeek Rochester (4:10.65).
    Calabar secured gold and silver in the Class Two Shot Put courtesy of Rojay Dacres who produced 15.34m and Richard Wilson 14.75m. Kerry Espit of Bridgeport took bronze with 14.58m.
    Eslewhere in the field, KC completed another quinella in the Class Three Long Jump thanks to Clive Pullen 6.48m and Keneil Grant 6.43m. Owen Smith of Calabar took the bronze with a leap of 6.28m. The purples from North Street completed a clean sweep of the long jump when Jerome Wilson leapt 7.26 metres to win the Class Two equivalent and dethrone Herbert Morrison's Teivaskie Lewin 7.19m. Julian Forte of Wolmer's did 7.05m for the bronze. On Wednesday, Tarik Batchelor produced 7.60metres to win in Class One.
    Batchelor returned last evening to leap 15.41 metres to take his second gold of the championships in the triple jump open. Damion McLean of Camperdown finished second with 14.81, while Calabar's Shayon Daniel did 14.76 for third.
    Twenty-two finals will be contested on today's final day of competition, including the 200 metres, 800m, 400m, the sprint hurdles and sprint relays in all classes, as well as the sprint medley and mile relay open events.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Blake could run sub-10 this year - Donovan Bailey
    DANIA BOGLE, Observer staff reporter bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, March 15, 2008

Former 100m world record holder Donovan Bailey (centre) relaxes inside the National Stadium yesterday with (from left), former Jamaican Olympians Juliet Campbell and Juliet Cuthbert. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    Former 100m world record holder Donovan Bailey said St Jago's sensational junior sprinter Yohan Blake could run sub-10 seconds in the event this year.
    "Absolutely phenomenal guy. he can run sub-10 easy this year," Bailey told Sporting World shortly after Blake clocked 10.27 seconds to win the Class One boys' 100m at the 2008 ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys' & Girls' Athletic Championships last evening.
    Earlier, the three-time world champion said seeing Blake in action would be one of the highlights for him during his first time at the Boys' Championships since he himself last competed at the high school event.
    "It's phenomenal what this kid has done. obviously he is the next Asafa (Powell)," Bailey said from inside the VIP box at the National Stadium where he witnessed yesterday's third day of action in the 2008 ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys' & Girls Athletic Championships.
    Blake was scheduled to run in the final of the Class One boys' 100m just hours after Bailey arrived at the Stadium.
    Bailey, who in 1996 set a new world record 9.84 seconds in the 100m in winning the gold medal at the Atlanta Olympics, migrated to Canada shortly after participating in his last Boys' Champs as a 4x100m and 100m sprinter for Knox College in 1981.
    "One of the things that I have now is a lot of time on my hands and I have the ability to come here and see the next great Jamaican that's going to dominate the world. I'm not looking for a job coaching or anything, I just want to guide them whatever it is that they want to know. whatever I can offer," 41-year-old Bailey added.
    The three-time world champion spends quite a bit of time in the island as his father still lives in the hills above Kingston, but this is the first time that he has been back to the Championships, which are the largest in the Caribbean and at which he got his start.
    "I have great memories of when I competed," he shared. "I remember the day. it was my Olympics when I was a country boy at Knox, all we talked about all year was Champs, it was the Olympics and I can feel the vibe and the energy in the Stadium and I'm definitely looking forwards to the kids competing and just cheering them on."
    Bailey said he will be back at the Stadium today for the final day and seeing the boys 4x100m Class One and 4x400m Open for which St Jago holds the records.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

While Blake might be the real deal, we must be careful how we big up the yutes.

Bailey is obviously impressed... as am I. In my days (70s) class I times were in the mid tens region. 10.6 was a great time so 10.27 looks absolutely stratospheric...but wi musn goat mout de yute dem.

Good luck still.

pr
      Peter R

Comment

Working...
      X