Williams Knibb hit by internal wrangling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Williams Knibb hit by internal wrangling

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Williams Knibb hit by internal wrangling</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Paul Reid
    Tuesday, October 10, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>MARTHA BRAE, Trelawny - William Knibb Memorial High's preparation for the remainder of the daCosta Cup Zone A fixtures and the Inter-Zone has been thrown into disarray, the Observer has learnt.

It is understood that a change of mind by the acting principal, Roland Powell, to accept a student in upper sixth form has not gone down well with the team which is refusing to train.

A source close to the team told the Observer yesterday that Dane Johnson, who had been transferred from Cornwall College last year and attended lower sixth form at the Trelawny school, was told there was only space for 15 students in upper sixth form and there was no space for him.

Johnson, who plays both cricket and football for the school and played in the first game of the season, a loss to Maldon High, has not played since.

The daCosta Cup team, which leads Zone A with 16 points and has qualified for the Inter-Zone round, and the Under-16 team have come to the support of the 17-year-old Johnson, who also represents the senior Trelawny parish cricket team.

William Knibb, who were finalists in the daCosta Cup in the 2003 season, will end the preliminary round on Saturday when they play away to Cornwall College in Montego Bay.

Meanwhile, efforts to contact Powell have proved futile. On the Observer's first telephone call to the school, a female staff member said Powell was in a meeting and would not be able to take the call.

A second telephone call just before 5:00 pm, the same female staff member asked if the acting principal had not returned the call. She said the message had been passed to him, but he had gone on a "late lunch" and was expected to return soon.

Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Williams Knibb hit by internal wrangling

Siccko, this storyhas left us with more questions than answers. What led to the principal's change of heart? It appears the student is already in lower 6th form and now is being prevented from going to upper 6th?! What's the real story here, siccko? Send me an email if this is not for public consumption.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I too have a lot of questions but the acting principal did not return my call up to 7:30pm whenI was leaving office last night...I did not want to hold the story and this way he might actually return my call today.

I spoke to a few senior teachers and none of them had anything good to say about the acting head and some are saying he is acting vindictive as he also kicked out another boy who he had a run in with last year overa belt buckle.

Cant understand why some one who did lower six was not allowed to matriculate to upper six so i too have questions.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Holy Mother - this acting principal needs some "walking papers". How can you accept a student in lower 6th in '05 and then in '06 you have no space for him in upper 6th. Knowing full well that the sixth form curriculum is 2 years.

Something don't smell good here!!
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Doesn't smell 'rite'! Stick with this one, sickko!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<DIV>This is easy, MdmeX. Maybe he wasn't the acting principal when the boy was accepted to lower 6th and maybe he should never have been accepted to lower 6th. The acting principal might be feeling that this boy is only there to play football, and having him advance to upper 6th is a sham, esp. when there are more worthy students in need of a place in theupper 6th form. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>That is just one scenario. I could easily come up with more. But let's wait until we get the real story.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks Mosiah. I'm really interested in this one. Mek me help sickko investigate!

This youth left Cornwall College to do 6th form @ William Knibb (mi nose getting a stinker stench now), &amp; CC have a well established 6th form fromlong time.

Based on my current events, Knibb is only a few years into their 6th form, and up to last school year there was some problem that they might lose their 6th form.
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

well the youth play cricket for trelawny so that tells me he is from trelawny. What if he dont want to commute to Mobay everday???? What are you trying to say..

Comment

What you say Mosiah, him nuh have four CXCs like the Munro boys?
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

OJ

I am not trying to say anything than the facts that are glaring at me. Did the youth just start playing Cricket for Trelawny in school year 2005-2006.? The youth attended Cornwall College prior to going to 6th form at William Knibb, so it could be determined that he was commuting at some point (right)?

IMOthe youthwas recruited to William Knibb specifically to play Football for them (I am convinced). Based on the ISSA rules in place, he was not considered a transfer student (since him went to 6th form) so he was eligible to play D Cup in September 2005; a transfer student would have had to be sidelined for a year.
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

I don't know, but are you convinced that our principals are adhering to practices that look out for the individuals' futures and not simply to win the daCosta Cup competition first and foremost? I am not!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Boss I can only go with what the Munro Headmaster told me personally that he will take boys with four and five CXCs...I can recall only a few years ago when Roper was the headmaster that six CXCs could not get vyou anywhere near the Munro school gate unless you were there to deliver ground produce
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

OK here's what I am hearing from an unofficial source, so I cant quote them in the papers, the boy is from Trelawny, started at some other school like Albert Town, then transfered to Cornwall.

Played cricket for Cornwall but could not make the DCup team. Also played parish cricket for Trelawny.

Did not get enough passes to go to Sixth Form at CC so went to William Knibb where he was accepted and played both DCup and Cricket.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>What point are you trying to make? Munro have been taking people with 4 O Levels into 6th form for the longest while, at least since I was there. All these people went on to pass A Levels!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Is this Knibb player once such student-athlete?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Furthermore, the headmaster can chat all him want. The board determines who gets in!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Just get the real honest story so we can stop speculating. Stop falling down on the job!!! </DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

<DIV>Siccko, the obvious question still remains - how many passes did he get that were not considered enuff for CC? </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>And there's more. What is his record thus far at Knibb? How is his behaviour?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Stop falling down on the job, siccko!!!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X