X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performer of the week:Natoya pulls off regal run

Performer of the week:Natoya pulls off regal run
    published: Saturday | March 29, 2008

Natoya Goule wins the Under-20 800m in a personal-best 2:05.90 on the final day of the 2008 CARIFTA Games in Basseterre, St Kitts. - photo by Anthony Foster

"WOW, WOW. Did I really break the record; are you sure?" was Natoya Goule's reaction when told about three hours after the conclusion of the CARIFTA Games that she was the new Under-20 girls' 800m record holder.
    In the 800m final, Goule, coached by Jerry Holness at Manchester High School, ran unchallenged from start to finish and posted a Games record and personal-best 2:05.90, her first sub-2:07 time.

The run by Goule, who celebrates her 17th birthday tomorrow, could be described in many ways - impressive, brilliant or excellent, as it not only accounted for Trinidad and Tobago's Melissa DeLeon's Games record of 2:06.83 but was also the second-fastest time by a junior this year.
    no loss in four years

It was with this performance that Goule, who is yet to lose a race in four years at Games, was voted The Gleaner's Top Performer of the Week.
    In the race, her eighth individual at these Games, Goule left in her wake the Trinidad and Tobago pair of Afiya Walker, who fell way back off the pace to finish second in 2:10.20, and Jessica James (2:11.07).

Goule was pleased with her run, but more so with her personal best.
    "This race was comfortable," said Goule, who had earlier won the 1,500m in 4:33.69, ahead of her teammate Mackola Joseph (4:45.22).
    "I could have pushed more but I did not want to blaze too much and not get the PR, but 2:05.90 ... I am very proud of myself. I know my coach (Jerry Holness) will be very proud also," Goule said.
    "I wanted to run 2:06 at Champs, but did not get it. So, I am glad that I came here and got it (PR). I want to give thanks to God, my coach and the entire management team over here ... they always motivate us," she said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X