Would you sponser a schoolboy team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you sponser a schoolboy team?

Every summer holidays, all the teams hit high gear in preparation for the upcomming season.If youtag along withthe teams as they train you will hear of their needs for equipment, food and pay.

"coach mi want ah boots", "coach mi hungry, mi no eat from morning", "coach mi no have bus fair".

The coaches reply "go ask the manager".

If you are the manager would you take up a responsiblity as such and spend over $100,000 or more out of your pocket to meet their needs. The Principal is very tight because he/she have to think about other school expences and they know sey the football team nyam money from the budget.

After all that money is spent the team dont make it pass the first round, how would you feel?

RE: Would you sponser a schoolboy team?

The teams have to start somewhere - you can't expect short-term gains, you've got to think long-term. So in year 2006, they don't make it pass the first round, but they've gained valuable experience. And if they are disciplined and committed, you certainly expect them to go further in year 2007 and so on.

You have to do a lot of analysis, it's not just the boots and the gears that they need, how are their nutritional needs being met etc. You may also have to act as a mentor, inspiring confidence (loads of it).

DiGlor, a small group ofpeople (including myself) contribute toa football fund for a particular school. It ain't easy, as very little support comes from the school administration. But the coach is a good man, dedicated, disciplined etc. We work with him and liase with him often. They are now seeing benefits from the program, kids doing better academically, representing the National team.

Brethren stay in it for the long haul - Win, loose or draw you can't afford to give up on these kids!!
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Why you think it is the established teams or teams with 'bacaktive' that always win the competition? Schools that have a strong past student body mostly.

I know ISSA made some announcement a few seasons back to the effect that they wont allow 'certain types' who were funding teams to remain. Read into that however you want.

Most teams just cant afford the cost of taking part in the daCosta or Manning Cup as it does cost a lot to just take part even in the first round but ISSA has taken some of the cost from them in that they give every team a full kit, shirt, shorts and socks plus they also help out with transportation costs.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Bu-nu-nups, it is good to be there for the team for the long run as you wait for results and by the time it comes around you find yourself at Food for the Poor asking for personal help.

Itis frustrating that you spend thousands of dollarsand then the joy of success is never experienced because a youth get a empty goal and kick whe the ball which would guarantee progression to the next round or championship.

Now mi know why some people dont hop on board to help fund teams. They want to see winning results. When you have team meetings with the boys and tell them how important it is to train hard, listen to your coach, execute what they have learned in training and put the ball away in the goal or defend the goal and then they go out there and do foolishness it is fustrating that the same boys that you spent thousands of dollars on not doing the job, it is fustrating.

Oh well it is back to the drawing board.

Comment

<DIV>I usually tell them to make it to the 2nd round and then I'll see what can happen. The ones I come across don't usually need that extra Puma Speed King boots that they ask for. But they relish the encouragement and advice. And I make sure that they are doing at least okay in school. Many times, I also assist them in deciding what to do about college, so my involvement also occurs after schoolboy football. And don't get me wrong. </DIV><DIV>They don't have to be getting straight As, but if they are flunking, there are out of luck with me! (It might sound likeI have done this for a lot of students, but I haven't at all.)</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Many schools have a more structured "adopt/sponsor a player" program. If one decides to get involved in that, I believe one should just go full steam ahead. Not every school is going to win the daCosta Cup or get to the 2nd round, but if you sponsor a particular player you can get your satisfaction from observing his/her progress, not just on the field, but in every facet of life. That is very important to me. Of course, I am not going to become the child's parent, but schoolwork is important, and how the child carries him/herself (manners, decency, punctuality, etc.) is all part of what I expect.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is called schoolboys football and the longer you watch it the more frustrated you can get, I have spoken to coaches with success and they can tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end.

One coach tells me he prefers to coach girls than boys for the simple reaosn that they are less distracted. He says most of the time when a girl gets distracted it is because of one reason- boys.

However with boys the reaosns can be so many and varied one would not know where to start. Remember when Bridgeport played Cornwall in the Olivier Shield- the idiots refused to train because they did not get brand new boots for the two ways series- how many girls you know would do that?

And even when a mistake by referee Peter Prendergast gave them a first leg lead from MoBay they were trounced what 7-0 at Harbour View in the return leg.

Before Mosiah ask what mistake let me help him out here, TV replays clearly showed the Richard McCallum was fouled on the third goal scored by Bridgeport.

Also a first half goal scored by Cornwall was mistakenly called back by the female assistant referee who mistook a supporter way across the field wearing a replica shirt as a player in an off-side position.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
            X