• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reid challenges JFF's competence

Reid challenges JFF's competence
    published: Saturday | August 12, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Horace Reid, the former general secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation speaking at Thursday night's joint end of season presentation ceremony for the Captain's Bakery-sponsored JFF Western Confederation Super League and the Westmoreland FA. – Adrian Frater Photo

Western Bureau:

Former Jamaica FootballFederation (JFF) general secretary, Horace Reid, has joined the growing list of high profile football personalitiesquestioning the suitability of the current Crenston Boxhill-led administration to lead national football into the future.

Giving the main address at Thursday night's joint end of season presentation ceremony for the Captain's Bakery sponsored JFF Western Confederation Super League and the Westmoreland FA Major League, Reid questioned whether or not the federation's leader should not be included in the shake-up now taking place within the JFF.

"I think I am qualified to speak openly and candidly about the state of the game in Jamaica," said Reid in his wide-ranging address. "For that reason, I wonder whether or not the much publicised overall of the technical department should not go hand in hand with a major overall of the administrative department."

Expressing similar sentiments to former national striker and coach Ali McNab and other top football personalities, who was one of the architects of Jamaica's historic qualification for the 1998 World CupFinals in France, said the lack of success on the field cannot be divorced from the off-the-field administration.

"It has always been my fervent view that the success yearned on the field of play cannot be possible without simultaneous competence off the field," said Reid.

MAKING CHANGES

Following a spate of disastrous performances, including the national senior team's 6-0 loss to England, the JFF has been making changes to its technical department. Former national technical director Wendell Downswell and goalkeeper coach Paul Campbell are two of the casualties of the shake-up.

In rejecting some of the excuses being offered by the current administration for its current lack of progress, Reid said the previous administration faced similar situations, including the closure of the National Stadium for almost the entire year after the 2002 World Cup, but still managed to remain financially sound.

"It requires competent and astute administrators to take full advantage of the enormous opportunities around in modern football," noted Reid. "The sport requires administrators with vision to recognise and take advantage of opportunities."

In an obvious reference to the current administration's stated fears of playing home games because of the possibility of losing money, Reid said national football requires administrators with foresight to take necessary calculated risk, as most businesses do.

He noted that the JFF's affiliates probably need to start looking elsewhere for leadership, adding: "With the facts presented you can formulate your own opinions as it relates to the administrative and technical dilemma of the current state of affairs of our football product."</DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Reid challenges JFF's competence

I asked this question over and over, when was the last time the Reggae Boyz played on home turf? I mean, how ould we move from a position where we played about 30 games in teh ofice over a 2 years period, to a position where we played ZERO games in another 2 year period? And the excuse is that they dont want to lose money. I always thought that playing games at home was a profitable venture, or is supposed to be a profitable venture.

When is next elections due? dont expect them to appopint a TDuntil a month before election time. We are stuck with Carl Brown until then.
    President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Good article by this observer writer. It is a pity he continued with some of the malapropisms Sicko talked about whenSicko discussed my Westomorland federation officials yesterday in his post. Thewriter used "overall" two places for "overhaul" and this is supposed to be edited and published work. Tell the Observer that their editors are sleeping on the wuk!

It was a good article nonetheless and Reid made his points well and clear. Incompetent leadership will always try to find a scapegoat to cover their shortcomings. Why should we expect any different from Boxhill and his crew?
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla this is NOT AN OBSERVER article, this was published in the Gleaner aka the Daily Mis-leader.

I implore you to wait till Sunday for the real story that will be in the Observer.

We took the decision to hold the story one day longer as Saturday's circulation is not as good as Sunday's and it will reach more people.

What this writer did was leave out serious financial figures that Horace quoted that would have put a clear picture on the JFF's hosting international games at the stadium. Obvioulsy the writer did not understand the simple and explained financial tersm and instead of getting advise he left it out thus watering down his story.

Make sure you see the Observer tomorrow then compare.

Also I spoke to WD and that story will be in the Observer Sunday as well.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Make sure you read the Observer tomorrow and you will get the real story---- ha ha ha:P
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

sickko (8/12/2006)

What this writer did was leave out serious financial figures that Horace quoted that would have put a clear picture on the JFF's hosting international games at the stadium. Obvioulsy the writer did not understand the simple and explained financial tersm and instead of getting advise he left it out thus watering down his story.

And here we have sicko trying to make the incompetent JFF look good. All I want to know is how come under previous administrations hosting games atthe offocewasnt an issue, but suddenly its now a money cow.
            President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

OK Missa Sicko. Sorry to blame the Observer. The Gleaner's standards have been heading south some time now.

Tell Boyous fi hol' strain an' nu watch nutten. His time will come again as you know as night follows day, he will be recycled in again.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

And people wonder why I stopped posting here...RF show me where I tried to amke the imcompetent JFF look good? I assume you can read and understand.

I was taking a shot at THE GLEANER STORY and saying they did not accurately portray what Horace was saying. where in my post did I try to say anything positive about the Boxhill administration.

Please show me where and if it is there I will apologise to you, barring that go get a coke and smile......
                Che Guevara.

Comment

sickko (8/12/2006)Tilla this is NOT AN OBSERVER article, this was published in the Gleaner aka the Daily Mis-leader.

I implore you to wait till Sunday for the real story that will be in the Observer.

We took the decision to hold the story one day longer as Saturday's circulation is not as good as Sunday's and it will reach more people.

Make sure you see the Observer tomorrow then compare.

Also I spoke to WD and that story will be in the Observer Sunday as well.
                  Good going, sah!

Notice that praise is in anticipation of getting good info re: JFF finances and the WD story.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Nuh watch nutten, Siccko. A suh RF and others like to draw all sorts of conclusions and label people or sorts of things without understanding where people stand on certain issues. In fact, the problem is straight comprehension.

Just post and ignore dem. I have learnt to do that. When yuh respond sometimes it mek dem feel like dem did really have someting worthwhile fi say.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A tink, Reggae Fan was taking a light jab at you as some of us here thought dat sometime ago you had joined Mosiah in making excuses for the JFF's incompetence.

Tell yuh di trute al-doh mi neva seh nutten, mi did tink yuh jump wid yeye close pan di present JFF bad moves. Suh yuh seh mi did a si wrang? Accepted!

Comment

Its one of the first thing you guys choose to do, question people's inteligence whenever you are cornered. here is a the quote form Sicko's post that I was reffering to:

"...What this writer did was leave out serious financial figures that Horace quoted that would have put a clear picture on the JFF's hosting international games at the stadium..."

If you still feel I "misread" his post then I suggest your head might be agtehring water.

Comment

sickko (8/12/2006) I assume you can read and understand.
                          This is what you said Sicko: "...What this writer did was leave out serious financial figures that Horace quoted that would have put a clear picture on the JFF's hosting international games at the stadium..."

You know nothing about my educational background to make judgement on my inteligence, dont go there.

Comment

Mosiah (8/12/2006)Nuh watch nutten, Siccko. A suh RF and others like to draw all sorts of conclusions and label people or sorts of things without understanding where people stand on certain issues. In fact, the problem is straight comprehension.

Just post and ignore dem. I have learnt to do that. When yuh respond sometimes it mek dem feel like dem did really have someting worthwhile fi say.
                            You and Sicko are the two most vocal Boxhill apologists. Why am I not surprised that you are defending him?

Comment

Without commenting one way or another on the merits of Reid's statements - I find it odd that he would use that forum(The Captain's Bakery's sponsored function) to criticize the JFF President and admin.

It seems in poor taste to use that forum to launch a broadside. Does the JFF not have the authority to block teams from accepting sponsorship from undesirable enitities?

By the way - I thinkReid has a point.I just think he used the wrong forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X