jerome taylor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerome taylor

a long time mi tell unnuh him have the goods....smoothest run-up since mikey...<P class=news-title>'The first hero was my Dad' - Taylor<P class=news-author>Dileep Premachandran in Ahmedabad<P class=news-date>October 26, 2006<P class=news-body><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=170 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
    </TD><TD class=photo>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=photo>'On an individual level, I'd like to be among the top 10 fast bowlers in the world' <NOBR>© Getty Images</NOBR>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=news-body>He may only be 22, but Jerome Taylor is already well on course to becoming the Caribbean's premier fast bowler. Consistently quick and capable of swinging the ball late, Taylor is one of the inheritors of a matchless pace-bowling legacy. He may have played just seven Tests and 19 ODIs, but there have been enough signs - the nine-for against India in a Test at Sabina Park, and eye-catching displays in the tri-series in Malaysia - that he'll be around for the long haul. He talked exclusively to Cricinfo about his formative years, and the importance of restoring West Indies cricket to its former glory <P class=news-body>How did it all start for you?
    My father introduced me to the game as a youngster. He was a cricketer as well, and whenever he went for a game, he took me along with him. I'd sit and watch him and his friends, and it became something that I wanted to do. I started playing in primary school and just continued from there. <P class=news-body>What made you want to bowl quick?
    I always liked to see the 'keeper collecting the ball above his head, and the ball moving around and creating problems for the batsmen. That was the first thing that attracted me. <P class=news-body>Who were the early heroes?
    The first hero was my Dad, as I told you. He was a fast bowler as well. But I've always admired Courtney Walsh, Curtley Ambrose and Glenn McGrath. Those guys would be the first to get a mention. Wasim Akram was another that I looked upto. <P class=news-body>What are your strengths, and where do you think you can still improve?
    My strength is swinging the ball, and control. To be honest, I can still improve when it comes to control. And as you play more games, you learn how to work with the ball more and do more things. <P class=news-body>Who are the best batsmen you've bowled to?
    Brian Lara, in domestic cricket back home. Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting. They're more challenging. But I'm one of those who's willing to take up that challenge and give it my best shot. If you can trouble guys like Dravid and Sachin, you're doing something right. <P class=news-body>What would Jerome Taylor be doing if not for cricket? Did you excel at any other sport as a kid?
    In school, I was doing carpentry, so if I wasn't a cricketer, I'd probably be doing that. I used to do a bit of track and field, but didn't continue with it very long. <P class=news-body>What would you like to accomplish in the future?
    It's important that we live up to the legacy that the past players have left behind. On an individual level, I'd like to be among the top 10 fast bowlers in the world. <P class=news-body>How do you relax once you leave the stadium behind?
    Away from cricket, I spend time with the boys, listening to music and going out. Maybe a party here and there.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

RE: jerome taylor

Give thanks fi STETHS. Seems as if he was not one who was good at the academics, but he got a chance nontheless and look at him now.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

<DIV>What point are you trying to make, Tilla?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Do you think that I believe that everyone should become a doctor?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>On the other hand, if Jerome did not attend school, or only showed up in the cricket term and didn't even make an effort at carpentry, would that be alright with you?</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (10/27/2006)<DIV>What point are you trying to make, Tilla?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Do you think that I believe that everyone should become a doctor?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>On the other hand, if Jerome did not attend school, or only showed up in the cricket term and didn't even make an effort at carpentry, would that be alright with you?</DIV>
        I am for giving people opportunity. If you give a man opportunity and he chooses not to make good of it, then the player/student is to be blamed. Jerome's statement said if he was not playing cricket, he would have been a carpenter. That indicates to me that he was committed.

BTW Mo, have you considered my suggestion to try switching to decaf? I think it would do you a wordl of good.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

But an opportunity is not taking in a "student" to play cricket for one term and the student does not attend class or sit any exams!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

and pepe goodison would hav been a.......??? taylor is stil only 22 and is capable of making a living as a cricketer...he will have to work hard and apply himself as he would with any other job.....

have you ever listened to beckham/gerrard/rooney? but for football......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Actually, I don't coil in terror when JT talks. He can be interviewed and give a good account of himself.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (10/27/2006)Actually, I don't coil in terror when JT talks. He can be interviewed and give a good account of himself.
                Yuh notice that this is something about common to the STETHS man dem (apart from me of course). Listen to Boyus Downswell and the Harbour View youth Lovell Palmer and you will see what I am talking about.

Comment

the affinity for carpentry?

Comment

Gamma (11/2/2006)the affinity for carpentry?
                    Gamma, yuh is a lawyer, mi expek yuh fi read an comprehen' betta dan soh! If you notice, we were talking about people expressing themselves. Mo indicated that he had n problem with how Taylor conducted himself. . .

Anyway, I know yuh jus' pulling mi leg.

Comment

Working...
                    X