• Show
Clear All

• Eltham win Walker Cup

<DIV id=printReady>

Eltham win Walker Cup
    published: Saturday | October 28, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Howard Walker, Staff Reporter

Eltham's goalkeeper Kelso Cousins (centre) holds aloft the Walker Cup while celebrating with his teammates after their 1-0 victory over Jamaica College in the final at Stadium East yesterday. - Ian Allen/Staff Photographer

Eltham High captured their first schoolboy football title, edging Jamaica College (JC) 1-0 to lift the JN/Pepsi/ISSA Walker Cup at Stadium East playing field yesterday.

The prolific Dwayne Hunter headed home a high cross in the 45th minute, enabling the Spanish Town-based school to create history in their second season of competitive football.

Eltham, formed only five years ago, have also won the Grace Shield senior and junior cricket competitions and added the Walker Cup to the growing list.

Jamaica College, the team with the most wins in Manning Cup history with 19 titles, remained winless in the knockout tournament and in the football doldrums for the last 32 years.

The game started slowly in front of a packed Stadium East facility decorated with the dark blue of JC and maroon and white of Eltham.

But the Spanish Town outfit was the first to settle with the outstanding Jamoy Sibbles, Tremaine Stewart, Hunter and Kemar Crowther creating problems for the boys from Old Hope Road.

It was no surprise when Eltham took the lead on the stroke of half-time.

Hunter rose between two defenders to head home a high looping cross from Darion Douglas from six metres, to silence the JC faithfuls.

Made changes

On the resumption of the second half, JC coach Alfred Henry remained calm and allowed his team to play, but with 20 minutes remaining, he made changes. He brought on Dale McAnuff and put him in the heart of his defence. Captain Jair Gooden was pushed into midfield, while Kenrick Reeves and Jason Forbes also came on in midfield.

Slowly the tide changed as Gooden took control of midfield as JC pressed for the equaliser. The game was now living up to expectations as a Cup Final with end-to-end stuff.

JC threw everything at the tiring Eltham, including the kitchen sink and should have equalised. The hard-working Oshane Brown and Paul Henry both got chances to be heroes in the dying moments.

But their failure brought wild celebrations for Eltham as the referee blew the final whistle.

The Stadium East field became a sea of maroon and white as the supporters charged on to the field to celebrate the historic moment for their school and community.

A brave JC will have to wait another time before they can add a football title to the Manning Cup they won in 1974. </DIV></DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Eltham win Walker Cup

'A special delivery'
    published: Saturday | October 28, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

After just two short years of participating in schoolboy football, Eltham High created history when they slipped by Jamaica College 1-0, denying the Old Hope Road team yet another Walker Cup at the National Stadium East playing field yesterday.

Hundreds of screaming Eltham fans swept unto the pitch like a maroon sea, to drown their heroes with chants of adulation after a header by Dwayne Hunter proved good enough to take the Walker Cup down the Mandela Highway and off to Spanish Town.

"I'm just so happy, I just don't know what else to say, that just sums it all up, I'm just really so happy," exclaimed a broadly grinning Gregory Allen, coach of the Eltham team.

Stuck to game plan

"We did well, we went out there and stuck to our game plan. The guys were motivated and they really went out there and delivered today. It was indeed a special delivery for a team which failed to make it to the Walker Cup last year and shed tears of bitter disappointment when they were knocked out of the Manning Cup by rivals St. Catherine last year.

On the other side of the coin, Jamaica College were left disappointed as they saw yet another chance of capturing the elusive trophy evaporate. However, the day was not a total loss, according to their coach Alfred Henry.

"It was a great performance, we were playing without our entire front line and we still stuck it out," Henry said.

"Right now I'm overjoyed at what is happening at JC with not only football, but the school. Things are booming right. Right now, I'm way ahead of where I expected to be," he added.
    </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Eltham lift Walker Cup</SPAN>
      <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>
      Saturday, October 28, 2006
      </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
      <P class=StoryText align=justify>After only two seasons, Eltham High School out of Spanish Town gained their first lien on one of schoolboy football's most coveted trophies when they defeated Jamaica College (JC) 1-0 to take the Walker Cup KO title at Stadium East yesterday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>After eight finals, Jamaica College turned up empty-handed once again, despite having the most Manning Cup titles in the bag in the competition's history.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=330 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Eltham's goalkeeper Kelso Cousins (centre) and team-mates celebrate after being presented with the Walker Cup following their 1-0 victory over Jamaica College in the final at the Stadium East yesterday. (Photo: Garfield Robinson) </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Jomoy Sibbles netted the game's only goal on the stroke of half-time for the Gregory Allen-coached side to deny the boys from Hope Road.
      In an uneventful first-half, Eltham had the better share of possession, but, it was the JC who had the better opportunities. Orlando Grant blasted over the bar from inside the box on two occasions, after being left unmarked in the 13th and 25th minutes.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Sibbles had Eltham best chance of the half but he redirected Dwayne Hunter's pass wide of the near-post after being set up just past the half-hour.
      Before the interval, Dwayne Hunter had a shot deflected high into the air by a defender, and Sibbles waited patiently before out-jumping Elvis Watson at the back-post and nodding the ball pass Geovanni Gordon in goal.
      Eltham came out and continued to have the better of the game in the second half, but their final passes left a lot to be desired.<P class=StoryText align=justify>But as the game entered the final quarter-of-an-hour the 'dark blues' began to up their game and could have snatched the equaliser at the death had it not been for the outstanding goalkeeper, Kelso Cousins.
      First Kemal Bedward just missed the upright with a shot from the top of the area in the 73rd minute.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=330 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Jamaica College's Marc Robinson (left) tries to go around Eltham's Romaine Lindo to steal possession during their Walker Cup KO final at Stadium East yesterday. Eltham won 1-0. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Then two minutes later, Cousins had to go full-stretch to deny Paul Henry's strike from outside the box.
      Tremaine Stewart then forced Cousins' opposite number, Gordon, into a diving save with a curling free-kick from 25 yards just minutes following the JC blitz.
      Eltham's coach Gregory Allen was overcome with jubilation after his team's historic victory.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I am really happy... I believe the guys played according to instructions and that was our intention. But the guys really delivered today," he beamed.
      And despite playing three games in the last week, Allen is confident his team will recuperate in time to launch their bid for the Manning Cup title.
      "We have done it before so I don't think it will affect our performance going into the Manning Cup, so I am looking for the team to carry on same way in the Manning Cup," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Jamaica College's Alfred Henry said his team did well team even wit

Comment

When dem beat RABALAC I was in shock, I thought it was a misprint, as I have never in my LIFE heard of Eltham.

Suh when dem beat JC me seh ohhhh I guess it wasnt pure luck and overconfidence on C-Bar's part.

Anyway is the Manning Cup and Olivier Shield that counts, and I am glad the boys got a wake up call
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

Working...
        X