Gill praise for Glazers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gill praise for Glazers

<P class=big>Manchester United chief executive David Gill believes that the club is in good shape under the ownership of the Glazers.

The American family were strongly opposed when they took over at United last summer, with fans fearful about how much they would interfere with the club and what damage they could do financially.

However, Gill is convinced that The Red Devils are a more effective force in private ownership than they were as a Stock Market-quoted company.

"One year on, the scare stories have proved unfounded and the club is in good shape to face the various challenges both in the Premier League and Europe," he said.

"There was a lot of comment about the takeover but the Glazer family have let us get on with running the club.

"People understand they are here for the long-term. They are investing for the long-term and we are looking to produce results, on and off the pitch, to justify that investment."

The recent restructuring of debts taken on by Malcolm Glazer has seen the actual sum owed by the club rise to a £660million, but at the other end of the spectrum the businessmen have helped to secure a lucrative shirt sponsorship deal and an improved TV contract.

Old Trafford's capacity has also been expanded to 76,000 to bring in some additional revenue.

Funds were provided for Michael Carrick's £18.6 million switch from Tottenham, but Gill is not looking for United to compete with Chelsea in the transfer market.

"Chelsea do what they do and what they can afford," Gill told BBC Radio Manchester.

"We have to do what Manchester United does best.

"Increasing the capacity of the stadium produces a lot of revenue for us. We will also continue to bring young players through the academy and we will compete in the transfer market as we see fit."

Gill believes that United possess the quality to challenge for The Premiership title this season.

"If you look at the players in our squad, the likes of Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, we have a lot of players many teams would envy.

"We are not saying we cannot compete because we feel we can.

"We have the team to compete, the squad to compete and we are looking forward to the new season."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Gill praise for Glazers

David Gill sounds like Tommy Tucker singing for his supper. How is the club better off? Did Manu need the Glazers to secure a sponsorship deal? Does this bredda have a brain?

The Leprechaun and him boys promised hhow much money for transfers, whey di money deh?

kiss teet!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, you are right. If they are not careful, they will preside over the permanent transfer of the Premiership kings into also rans. That is what folks like Courtney are accustomed to. We, however, know and deserve better and we should not stoop to that low level of achievement.
      "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

I grew up seeing my side dominating football,WORLD FOOTBALL THAT IS .

Can you say the same ???

Comment

All this time I thought Courtney was younger than me, but now I know he is much older...born in the era of the dinosaurs.

I actually think Liverpool is a team to watch this year. I made a post to that effect last week. What can put them at a psychological disadvantage is bs stufflike the silly mindgames that Raffa is getting pulled into with Mourinho. Jose has really found a way to get under Raffa's and Arsene's skins. Funny, he gets along with Fergie and does not do that stuff with him. I would have thought it would have been him and Fergie doing that stuff. Some here have said he does not do that with Fergie because he has written off Man U and he is more worried about Liverpool and Arsenal. I disagree. Last season Man U was closer to Chelsea (not close enough). I think it is more a case of duppy knows who fi frighten. I believe Raffa needs to just prepare his team and quit getting involved in the mind games.

By the way, the recent result does not mean a thing. Did I tell you about those seasons when Man U was picking up 5 love in pre-season and early in the season and then when it was all said and done the early victors were left in the dust? Liverpool must be careful of that. it is like winning a heat and thinking you have won the final.

Comment

I saw it coming from way back.

Comment

The BIG MAN continues to be missed!😓

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

He is beside himself up yonder, especially every time Suarez touches the ball. He is not resting; he is dancing with euphoria.

Comment

I believe he would have loved Rodgers from the get go...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                  X